News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

can someone ID this candlestick

Started by bushman, December 19, 2010, 05:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I have found this candlestick and was wondering if someone could identify it from these pics. Also a rough idea of what it is worth so I can be better educated when I make an offer on it.

Thanks

Bushman

bushman

sorry about the double pic here is the other one

Bushman

Doug Rose

Bushman...the pictures are a very poor quality to make a judgement. My guess is the back of the spitcup has NOV 1910 on it and it is a reproduction....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I agree that it is a reproduction Western Electric set.
Robby

bingster

Any time you see an AE dial on a phone that looks like a WE candlestick, it's cause for suspicion.  I agree that the phone is repro, and the receiver definitely is (or was).  I have one, but I wouldn't even know how to guess the value of one.  Probably not all that much, though.  But, if it's cheap (I mean like $25 or $30 cheap), get it and paint it black.  It'll look very close to an original, and would make a nice looking phone.
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Buy it, polish it up and resell it. List it as a 1970's brass candlestick so you aren;t trying to pull one over on somebody. One sold a couple of weekes ago on ebaY and we discussed it here on the forum. The seller got something like $335 for it because it looked like a million dollars and the buyer was probably someone who just wanted a real nice looking working candlestick.

Terry

Greg G.

Is this the same thing?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/atq/2115233872.html ( dead link 03-07-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I think that's just a Frankenphone.  The Korean replicas are all dial phones as far as I know.  The mouthpiece and reciever look plastic though.  My guess is a 20AL with "Country Junction" parts.  If you are thinking of buying a candlestick, add them and the parts to your watch list on eBay and see what sells and what doesn't.  That is a good way to learn the difference between real and fake.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

As I remember, one of the quickest ways to spot a fake WE candlestick is by looking at the name plate on the transmitter.  The WE ones are riveted, and the fakes are stuck with adhesive.  This one does look like a fake to me.  The receiver is obviously not the type which would have some with a 1910s-20s candlestick.

Larry

Dennis Markham

That coiled cord just doesn't look right on a candle stick phone, does it?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 20, 2010, 08:55:03 AM

The purpose of a coiled cord is defeated by putting it onto a candlestick.  I would not expect many people to hold the receiver 20 feet from the phone.  Anything but a straight cloth cord looks wrong to me.

Larry

Doug Rose

Here is the link of the repro that some unsuspecting buyer paid through the nose for....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3841.msg50742#msg50742
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 20, 2010, 10:00:19 AM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 20, 2010, 08:55:03 AM

The purpose of a coiled cord is defeated by putting it onto a candlestick.  I would not expect many people to hold the receiver 20 feet from the phone.  Anything but a straight cloth cord looks wrong to me.

Larry

Yeah, now that you mention it, that's really dumb.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bushman

If you think of it that way, that's hilarious!!

Bushman

Dennis Markham

The user would be building muscles while talking on the phone....like one of those spring things that one pulls apart.