News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1963 WE 500 not ringing

Started by RDR89, October 15, 2014, 11:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDR89

Hi I tried to do my due diligence on this before I posted for some help.  This phone came with the original wiring but was spliced into two alligator clips.  Maybe someone wanted to use it as a line phone.
  I took an RJ11 wire and I spliced the yellow and green together hooked the red to one alligator clip the red to another and phone works outgoing and rings incoming.  Perfect.
  Ok so now I want to put an RJ11 on this and use it after the clean and polish.  I connected the red yellow and green as the original was.  No ring.  Looked up and  moved the black wire from the bell ringer coil from the "G" terminal on the network to the network terminal called "L1"  No ring

Hmmm  I would like to have this able for my son to use it in his room not looking to keep it original I got it for 7 bucks :)  Any help much appreciated.

Brian

WesternElectricBen

If I understand correctly, you are saying that it is wired like it should work. Meaning, it is wired exactly as you got it, right?

If so, I would check the line cord connections, because spliced leads can be unreliable if not making full contact. Try re-spooling the leads around the screw.

Ben

RDR89

I am assuming I have it wired correctly but I am using a RJ11 instead of the original which was the old 4 prong I guess.  The black on the RJ11is just not connected to anything.
  I have tried that several times.  Maybe I will reconnect the original with the clips, take off the clips and connect the old wires to the RJ11 but that would be an ugly basterizided way..

WesternElectricBen

Why don't you hook it up the way it was and upload a picture, that may help us.

In the meantime, you might want to check your wiring with this sketch. (D/P's diagram)

Ben

RDR89

A little blurry but you can see the red yellow and green connected.

Phonesrfun

The yellow wire in an RJ11 is not used, nor is the black.  Just red and green.  However it certainly does not hurt anything to have the yellow connected to the G terminal

It looks from the blurry photo that it is connected correctly.  The ringer wires should be connected as follows:

Red to L2, along with the red line cord wire
Black to L1 along with the green line cord wire
Slate (light gray) to K
Slate/Red to A

What kind of phone service do you have?  old-style phone service from a legacy phone company?  Internet phone? Magic Jack?

-Bill G

RDR89

I am using Ooma and I currently have a 302 and a wall 500 hooked up and they work perfectly.  Actually I just took delivery of a Dialgizmo yesterday and I am dialing out happily as well.  It is just this sucker that is giving me issues. 
  I am thinking it is a me thing.

Phonesrfun

Well, if you have others that are ringing OK, then the service must not be the issue.  Double check the wiring, and if that is all ok, the problem might be in the ringer itself or the capacitor that is wired inside the can between the A and K terminals.

-Bill G

Kenton K

Perhaps the armature is seized. Sometimes, magnetic crud gets lodged in the hinge part, locking the arm. A nice puff of air will likely dislodge it if that is the problem.

RDR89

It worked previously though.  I will rehook it up the original way tomorrow and start over.  I am tired now and getting frustrated. 

To be continued...