"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Charge-A-Call Payphone

Started by soundsystems, April 25, 2014, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soundsystems

Hello All,
I've recently acquired a NOS Charge-A-Call Payphone from the early 90's.  It was manufactured by CTG (Commercial Telephone Group, Inc.).  I've scoured the internet looking for information, and have found none.  Upon connecting to a landline, the telephone does receive a dial tone, but any attempt to key a phone number results in a self-generated busy signal.  Does anyone on the forum have documentation pertaining to this telephone?  Thanks for reading my post, and thanks in advance if you can help!
Regards,
Jason

Phonesrfun

I would think that anyone here having anything on it would be a long shot.  Later pay phones have lots of software in them that was probably proprietary.  Do you have any pictures?
-Bill G

poplar1

I thought these were just standard phones inside--no coin handling so no relays or special software and no locally produced dial tone, busy tone, or synthesized voice.

ISTR the WE equivalent was a model 10A. They were connected to lines that did not allow toll (long distance) calls or even local calls to be connected unless charges were paid--either by giving a credit card number to the operator or by entering same info at the "bong" tone. In other words, the lines were restricted but the phones were not.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Payphone installer

C-A-C payphones first operated as dumb sets on a special CO based line that prompted the user for a credit card. Later on there were smart CAC phones just like smart payphones. They were produced by several companies some still work just by plugging them in others need a pro gem download. AT&T 31A and 60A both need to talk to a master server to work.