News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DIY subset

Started by dsk, March 30, 2016, 02:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

When Till had problems with his candlestick, I designed 2 simple circuits for DIY subset based on whats commonly available over here:

The left one is typical used in German, Italian, Swedish, East Europe, far east ++ phones. 
(The ZB may be a capacitor, or a mix of capacitors and resistors)
The US Automatic Electric phones may have this too.

The right one is typical for Norwegian phones (pre 1967) many Belgian BTMC Standard, Western Electric up to the 500 etc.

The Anti SideTone wire may just be skipped for use on sidetone sets.

dsk

Phonesrfun

I think many collectors don't know that there are many sources for induction coils and thus possibilities for do-it-yourself (DIY) subset construction.

The best possibility is a junker 302 base that has the 101A induction coil and the 195A capacitor.  Add an attractive cover from Ray Kotke, and there is a great subset, including a ringer. 

A junker 500 or 554 can be used with the 425 network.  Just about any phone with a network in it, for that matter will do.  WE, AE, English, German, etc., etc.  Even a resistor/capacitor on a 4-position terminal strip will work as a sidetone unit with no gain, of course, but still a suitable substitute that won't cause receiver damage and is far better than connecting the receiver and transmitter directly across the line.

Maybe we should have people submit as a contest or just for fun their success stories of DIY subsets.

-Bill G

Pourme

I bought a WE Princess a while back for $15.00. It came with this subset. Could I use this subset with my SC oil an candlestick? Could that be possible?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

dsk

Probably, but circuits containing automatic loop compensation are trickier than older and simpler induction coils are often easier.

I started this topic because many people doesn't understand the possibility of using almost whatever you have.

dsk

Pourme

I have been wondering about using this subset since the minute I found it. This looked like the perfect time and place to ask. It's a compact unit and would be perfect to tuck out of the way...Until I could find a more appropriate and eye pleasing unit.
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on April 06, 2016, 06:40:10 AM
I bought a WE Princess a while back for $15.00. It came with this subset. Could I use this subset with my SC oil an candlestick? Could that be possible?

That is not a subset per se, it is strictly a ringer. It does not have an induction coil.  The coil that you see, is the electromagnet for the ringing motor.

The first generation of the Princess didn't have a ringer installed internally, they just couldn't make them small enough yet at the time. So they supplied the Princess with a ringer box like this that was mounted on the baseboard close to the telephone set.

Of course, if all you want is a ringer, you can install it without the Princess just for that purpose with or without any telephone.

Pourme

Thanks, unbeldi...
Benny

Phonesrfun

Quote from: dsk on April 06, 2016, 07:17:37 AM
Probably, but circuits containing automatic loop compensation are trickier than older and simpler induction coils are often easier.

I started this topic because many people doesn't understand the possibility of using almost whatever you have.

ask

On the 425 network, connecting a phone to it as if it was essentially a 101A coil with a 195A capacitor is nearly as easy, but the terminals to connect on the network are a little different designations.  One must understand that connecting the 425 network as if it is a straight anti sidetone subset does bypass most of the automatic loop compensation, but as has been stated many times, the 654/684 subsets or 302 phones had no loop compensation to begin with.

And you are right.  Many people don't know what is available and may be intimidated by trying to understand or ask.

-Bill G