News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OUCH! WE hershey kiss stick perch cut off horizontally

Started by Doug Rose, August 18, 2018, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is just so sad, hershey kiss perch cut across.  xxx out*229* transmitter destroyed. It was a 20 -S converted to a 20AL by WE converted to trash by someone unaware of what they had. A transmitter to an ashtray. Oh my!

Had a good receiver shell, hook switch assembly and base plate  for $10 it!

I took a lot of work to ruin this beauty!....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I think these were a telephone pioneer project.I have seen others and it took a machine shop to do the metalwork.They were given a old brass or bronze finish

Doug Rose

I would love to try to remove the xxx striked *229* plaque, has anyone ever successfully done it. 

I figure, what do I have to lose. Any ideas or tips?....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I have carefully drilled out the crimped back of the rivits that hold the tag.Do  not drill them out through

Doug Rose

Thanks Robbie....that was my thought.....as usual.....I do appreciate your vast  knowledge and experience....many thanks.....I will give it a try....Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

Usually the tag is held on by shoulder rivets. The large end can be driven out of the transmitter with a drift pin. Do each side a little at a time to avoid bending the tag. The only source of correct size shoulder rivets I have found is John Infurna. He apparently had some custom made.

Chuck

Doug Rose

thanks Chuck.....so much easier than I thought, I just used a tiny awl to push it out a little on each side. I still need to get a bit more of the plate off, to the naked eye it is brass, with the pic I can see a little of the plate. This was well worth it to me....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Man, that is sad. It seems like everyone in the '50s destroyed or mutilated anything that would eventually become valuable, yet preserved things like records that would have no individual value whatsoever. :o

At least you saved the tag, Doug! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

I got my $10 out of it....but it still broke my heart to see this....Doug
Kidphone