News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is a "period correct" dial for a '59 500?

Started by Greg G., August 04, 2009, 03:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Or "how to un-refurbish a phone".  My project/learning phone was made in 5-59, but somewhere along the line was outfitted with a 9C 5-72 dial.  What changes were made in those 13 years in the dial?  I would like to turn it back into a genuine "59er".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

foots

Brinybay, I think that a 7D dial is correct, at least that's what mine is and its dated 4-59. Not to hijack your thread, but which is correct for a '60 500?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

rp2813

I think 7D would still be appropriate for a 1960 phone, but the experts here would know best. 

Outwardly, I don't think the 9C alters the appearance of the '59 phone.  Only the trained eye would be able to tell.  However, even the relatively untrained ear would be able to tell when dialing, as the 9C is much smoother and quieter than the more raspy 7D.

Ralph
Ralph

foots

Ralph, I agree with you on the 9C being smoother and quieter than the 7D.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

I looked at my two 500s from 56 and 62, they both have the 7D dials.  I really like the "noisier" sound and feel of them.  I also noticed they have the black metal finger wheels rather than the clear plastic ones.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Metal finger wheels were only used on the older black 500's  Colored 500's all came with plastic, is my recollection.

-Bill
-Bill G

Jester

Brinybay,
The absolutely correct dial for your '59 beige phone is a 7C-60, with 60 being the color code for beige.  So happens I have a beige parts phone from '59 with this dial on it.  Email me if you're interested.

Ralph, I agree that the #9 dial is slightly quieter than the 7, but I've found that a clean, well lubricated #7 with proper gear lash is just as smooth if not smoother
Stephen

Greg G.

Quote from: Jester on August 04, 2009, 03:42:15 PM
Brinybay,
The absolutely correct dial for your '59 beige phone is a 7C-60, with 60 being the color code for beige.  So happens I have a beige parts phone from '59 with this dial on it.  Email me if you're interested.

Possibly.  For now, I swapped it out with another 9C I had in a '72 beige modular phone that was in better shape.  The metal part on the dial underneath the finger wheel on the 59 was bent, which made it very difficult to get off, plus the finger wheel was badly yellowed anyway.  

Everything works except it doesn't ring.  This is the first I've had it hooked up, so I don't know if it was ringing before, although seller claimed it "worked fine".  Once I get that fixed, then I'll see about a dial.  
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

From your first post, it appears that the four ringer wires are hooked up at the network correctly.  So, check to see if any of the 4 ringer wires are broken off where they are soldered to the ringer coil.  Sometimes that can happen.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 04, 2009, 05:15:46 PM
From your first post, it appears that the four ringer wires are hooked up at the network correctly.  So, check to see if any of the 4 ringer wires are broken off where they are soldered to the ringer coil.  Sometimes that can happen.

-Bill

Not sure what I did right, but it rings now.  All I did was partially remove the ringer coil (just the mounting screws) and those doo-dads that go down the middle.  I fanned them out and examined them, noting to myself that they resembled automotive "feeler gauges" from back in the day when I drove cars that had points and carburetors.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Hmmm.  Well, don't argue with success.

-Bill
-Bill G

McHeath

Quotenoting to myself that they resembled automotive "feeler gauges" from back in the day when I drove cars that had points and carburetors.

Oh wow, I had not thought about those things in ages!  Bet I can find a set of feeler gauges someplace in the garage. ;D