News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

7A Dial noise 3/52 501 T

Started by RotarDad, December 26, 2011, 02:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

I just got an Ebay 501T with the 425A net, C3A ringer, 426A tube and terminal block for the handset wires.  Thanks to this forum, I corrected the wiring issues quickly and now it works great.

My issue is the 7A dial.  Despite a clean/lube, it seems to be noisy on the return when compared to the many 7C/D dials I've serviced.  This is my only 7A, but I understand that the A's are considered smoother than the C/Ds.   I've adjusted the mechanism mount screws to alter the gear mesh with no benefit.  I've noticed the position of the dial makes some difference - if is is facing straight up or tilting backward it seems quieter.  As I lean it forward to the install angle or beyond, it gets noisier and less smooth.  It works fine and returns with the same speed as my 7Ds.  Any thoughts - maybe this is just a result of manufacturing tolerances in 1952?

Thanks!  Paul
Paul

Phonesrfun

I don't know that the earlier dials are really quieter than the latter dials.  I have a couple, but I am not home today and so I can't check mine.

However, most #7 WE dials all sound like coffee grinders any way.

I have found that the dust cover on the back contributes to the loudness as much as anything.  Some of the excessive noise may be due to age and wear.  After all, you are dealing with a mechanical thing made almost 60 years ago.

The only adjustment available is to adjust the gear mesh as you have done.
-Bill G