News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought a 302 for $45.00. I have QUESTIONS!!!

Started by broonzbane, August 04, 2009, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broonzbane

It looked to be in good shape with original (?) cloth cords, so I picked it up.  Now I need to know how to wire it to get it to work!

The dial wasn't wired when I disassembled it, but it's in good working order (I think--it dials smoothly and has a nifty 'flywheel spindle' inside that seems to spin freely).  I don't think it's a WE dial--I suspect it's a Stromberg Carlson.  Photos attached.  Numbers are stamped on the plastic housing--one number is 131, the other is 515-CL-209.

Terminals on the rear of the dial (from the photo) are labeled (L to R) as follows:  W, B, Y, GN, R.

The questions I have are:

1)  How do I wire this dial to the phone?
2)  How do I wire a modular wire to the phone for testing purposes (to see if the the darned thing works!)?

I am also attaching a photo of the phone chassis for reference purposes.

Total noob here!  Any help is appreciated!

Bill

McHeath

Welcome.  That's an interesting dial you have there, looks like Automatic Electric or such, but I'm not sure.  Check the Technical Info section of the forum for wiring info, and I'm sure someone here will be along shortly to figure out exactly what you have and how to make it work. 

foots

Does that dial click when dialing? Does it say Stromberg Carlson anywhere on it?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

broonzbane

Thanks for the replies so far, guys!  I did check the tech forum and really didn't find much in the way of info that would help me with the odd dial, although the 302 'wiring for dummies' documents will come in very handy!

The dial does click when dialing, but it does not say Stromberg Carlson on it anywhere...

Bill

broonzbane

Quote from: broonzbane on August 05, 2009, 08:07:24 AM
The dial does click when dialing, but it does not say Stromberg Carlson on it anywhere...

I really believe it's a S/C dial based upon this photo of a S/C dial cap:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/stromber-carlson-dial-cap.html

The photo is reversed, but the terminals and markings are the same.  The serial number is in the same format, too.

Any ideas how to wire it to the 302?  Thanks for taking interest, folks!  It is appreciated!

Bill

bingster

I'm out on this one.  There's a BSP in the TCI technical library that shows how to wire a Western Electric dial to a Stromberg-Carlson, but that's the exact opposite of what you want.  Now, if you bought a Stromberg with a Western dial, you'd really be in business!
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I spent a bit of time earlier today looking for a conversion chart showing how to wire a S.C. dial into a W.E. set and could not locate one.  We had discussed it a while ago, but as Bingster pointed out perhaps it was the other way around.  I'll bet if you sent an e-mail off to Steve Hilsz he would tell you which terminals to connect your wires.  Steve Hilsz:  jydsk@tds.net.

Phonesrfun

I think I can help on this, but I am at work at the moment.  Later tonight.  In the meantime, please post a picture of the back of the dial without the plastic cover, but showing the contacts and the screw terminals.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

broonzbane

Wow, thanks for all the input, folks!

I'm pursuing my Master's online and have class tonight, but I'll post a photo as soon as I'm done!

Bill

Phonesrfun

I also need to make sure that the hookswitch is there and has 4 wires coming from it.  Can you verify that as well?

-Bill
-Bill G

broonzbane

Here's the photo you requested.  Affirmative on the hookswitch--4 wires coming from it.  Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!!

Bill

broonzbane

Here's another photo of the phone chassis/interior...

Bill

broonzbane

One more photo:  All the wires that need to go to the rear of the dial.  6 wires and 5 terminals.  Wires are labeled with their point of origin.  Thanks again, guys!

Bill

Phonesrfun

OK, I just got off the phone with Carl in New York with his 5302.  Let me take a minute to study this out, and I'll be back to you in a few minutes.

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Broonzbane

I just sent you a PM to call me on my home #.  I have a question about the handset.

-Bill
-Bill G