News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought this.

Started by LM Ericsson, April 24, 2012, 04:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

It's funny seeing GPO phones described as Israeli phones, I know they were used there, but they're still the good ol' british GPO 746 phone... :D

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 30, 2012, 07:13:40 PM
It's funny seeing GPO phones described as Israeli phones, I know they were used there, but they're still the good ol' british GPO 746 phone... :D

They were made there as well as in a few other places under license.  I have an Israeli 706 which is identical, as far as I can tell, to the British design, but shipping from Israel is drastically cheaper than from the UK.

Larry

LM Ericsson

Well the phone arrived today in great condition and in one piece. It does need some work. First of all, when I took the housing off, I noticed the ringer was not intact with the phone, just sitting there loose. Second, the clapper was badly bent as if someone had tried to mess around with the ringer, but has been taken care of. All in all not bad. I did notice a small crack in one of the corners of the housing, but can easily be repaired. Here are some pictures. I also moved the handset cord to the left side.
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

It's definitely a late model, being an 8746, shame it has the steel gong there, they don't sound the same as the brass one, has a higher note which just doesn't sound like the older 746 models... :)

Still it's a nice phone, I like my green Mk1 version, it looks nice, even the dial ring which is the same colour as the case rather than the dark ring of other versions... :)

LM Ericsson

I do have another pair of bells i could use that are much older, at least replace the steel bell.
Regards,
-Grayson

david@london

a very nice condition phone. the handset is a very dark green which is a great contrast.

certainly worth trying out different possibilities with the bells to get the best tone. these gpo phones have a really lovely ring to them.

now all you need is a dial card ............ i like the unusual blue toned one here, from the numbercard archive:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/location/england.html

twocvbloke

That blue card is a coastal phone's card (dunno if it was for customers living on the coast or coastal phone boxes though), as it has the Lifeboat mentioned in there as part of the emergency services...  :)

There's also 3 pages of dial cards here to choose from:

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/dial_labels.htm

:)

LM Ericsson

Well I got the phone done today and looks good as new. I used novus plastic polish for the shining. I did add a new temporary line cord to get it working. Lastly, I added a dial card with a Welbeck exchange name (typed the name myself). The phone rings and calls out perfectly. Here are a few pics. The last picture is the 746 with my best friend in the whole wide world!!!
Regards,
-Grayson

Doug Rose

Grayson.....a perfect restoration. You should be very proud....Doug
Kidphone