"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yet another new member from Ontario, Canada

Started by NorthernElectric, February 22, 2015, 10:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

Hi folks.

I'm Cliff, 58 years old, from Muskoka in Ontario, Canada.

I've been interested in vintage phones off and on for decades, but have only recently gotten a bit more serious about it.  I did have an art deco style manual desk phone back in the 80s.  I think it was a Stromberg-Carlson.  I used it a bit, mostly to impress friends that I could dial a number by whacking the hookswitch plunger.  Folks that I called would complain that I sounded like Darth Vader.  I don't know what happened to that phone, but I probably got rid of it downsizing for a move.

Some time in the last couple of years, I picked up a Northern Electric 302 fairly cheap at a yard sale or flea market.  I put a line cord on it and it didn't work, so I set it aside and forgot about it.  Then last summer, I spotted a D1 at a flea market.  It had a gaping hole where the dial or blank should be and the transmitter and cap were missing.  I asked how much and the seller replied 5 bucks.  I talked him down to 3 and left with it.  That purchase inspired me to take a look at the 302.  I googled up some schematics and images of the wiring and lo and behold, a couple of wires were connected wrong.  I put it right and the darn thing worked!

While I was at that, I also looked for wiring info for the D1.  Due to the gaping hole where the dial ought to be, I had already guessed that it was not a complete phone by the lack of anything inside besides the hookswitch, so I was happy to learn that there wasn't supposed to be anything else in there.  Thanks to bingster's post, I discovered that this phone required a subset to make a 202 out of it, but also, that I could use a 500 or 2500 for that purpose, and I happened to have a 2500 that I wasn't using.  I had spotted a handset in a shop which I bought to get the transmitter and cap, and set about wiring the D1 to the 2500.  I disconnected the handset and hookswitch on the 2500 but left the touchtone keypad connected, connected the D1 to it per bingster's instructions, stuck an old glass fruit jar lid in the front as a temporary dial blank, and had a working 202.  I have since added a 5H dial, and have a 684BX subset on the way.

Since then, I bought a 352 that needs parts and another D1 with an E1 handset.  I picked up a 500 yesterday for 5 bucks to use as a temporary subset for it and tested it this morning.  The dial's a little slow, but the CO accepted my pulses and I could hear the surly ANAC guy reading my number back to me.  I think the transmitter wire is broken, so I didn't try a real call with it until I dig out my meter to check it.  My plan for this one is to make a subset by concealing a network and keypad from a 2500 inside a 315H subset box that I have from which everything else was either missing or broken, if I can get a working ringer for it.

Sorry for the long-winded intro; guess I won't have anything else to post about for a while.   :D
Cliff

Fabius

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 22, 2015, 10:28:10 PM

Sorry for the long-winded intro; guess I won't have anything else to post about for a while.   :D

No problem. We love telephone talk, Welcome.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

paul-f

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 22, 2015, 10:28:10 PM
... guess I won't have anything else to post about for a while.   :D

A warm winter welcome to the group, Cliff.

It sounds like you've made a lot of progress in the field of getting your phones to work.

Your next challenge could be to post some photos.  We really like to share your feelings by seeing not only the treasurers you've found, but also the challenges awaiting your restoration efforts.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Mr. Bones

Welcome Cliff!

Glad you're here! Keep us posted on your progress, and always remember: We wants pictures!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Hi Cliff:

Welcome to the Forum!
My maternal Grandmother and Grandfather lived in Huntsville prior to his death, whereupon my Grandmother moved down to Brockville.He was Comptroller of Muskoka Wood...

When I was young, both their home, and a beautiful cottage on the border of Algonquin Park was sold.

Where in Muskoka are you from?

As many would tell you, phone collecting is addictive, but, oh, what an addiction it is!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Welcome. Not a long intro at all. Don't worry, you will have plenty more to post. Yours is a perfect progression, starting with a broken $3.00 phone and suddenly there is more phones. It won't stop there! We love pictures too.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Welcome to the forum, from another Canadian newbie to this forum.

Doug

CanadianGuy

DavePEI

Keep this up, and we Canadians will outnumber the 'Muricans on the Forum!

:) :) :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

Welcome. With all the Ontario members, we'll have to have a mini meet someday.
Cheers........Bill

Quote from: tallguy58 on February 24, 2015, 08:58:33 AM
Welcome. With all the Ontario members, we'll have to have a mini meet someday.

Or make that meeting a Conference call. Now to decide which phone I will use. Decisions, decisions.

NorthernElectric

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

Quote from: paul-f on February 23, 2015, 12:29:48 AMYour next challenge could be to post some photos.

Well let's see how much of a challenge that will be.  Here is a dial card I made:

The Watt Municipal Telephone System was the independent telco that served my area before being bought out by Bell Canada in the 1960s.  This is not a reproduction of an original, just my nod to my local telephone history.

Quote from: DavePEI on February 23, 2015, 04:50:26 AM
Where in Muskoka are you from?
I'm about 1/2 way between Bracebridge and Huntsville.
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome, Cliff!

It looks like we have yet again another Canadian member. I'm starting to become a rare species around here! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

tallguy58

Hey Cliff, a coworker has a cottage on the Muskoka river. He also just bought a place in Bracebridge. 
Nice part of the world. Love going up there from Toronto.
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

Guess we need to rename the Forum to the Canadian Rotary Phone Forum!  :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001