News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to make original paint look better

Started by CandlestickCollector, August 25, 2014, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandlestickCollector

I recently posted a thread about my W.E. 151AL candlestick phone and mentioned that I wanted to repaint it. Ive now decided that I will leave the original paint on it because of the advice of several members. But I still think that there is something that I could do to it to make the original paint look better. My main concern with it is that there is a spot where the paint has worn through to the brass underneath and I was wondering if I could possibly patch the spot with new paint or do something to make the phones paint look better overall.

Cody
My 1920s music radio station: www.twkdradio.com

tallguy58

I've been in exactly your position. What I did was to completely disassemble the phone, clean everything and then put it all back together. I once used Novus on a candlestick and it made all the difference. Brightened it up just a bit. The subset I ignored as it's usually shoved under a table. Put new cords on it as well.
Cheers........Bill

unbeldi

It can indeed be amazing what polishing can do to old paint. I have polished metal subsets for example and later felt it was almost too glossy and new looking to be real and applied some 4000 grit micro-polish cloth to dull it a little.

I think it would be possible with proper care and skill to spray the blank area gradually and lightly to completely cover the blank metal and blend in with the surroundings.  Polishing as a second step might completely remove any differences in appearance.  I am not saying I'd recommend it, but I do see the possibility.

Looking at the pictures, I think careful cleaning in all areas with fine brushes and cleaning solutions will improve appearance greatly as a first step.