News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Multi colored NE 500

Started by benkeys, March 20, 2013, 03:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

How does one tell if this was done by the company or by an individual? Also is it uncommon to see phones like this and would it be worth getting if i could ever afford it? http://cgi.ebay.com/261186025899
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Mr. Bones

Quote from: benkeys on March 20, 2013, 03:30:27 PM
How does one tell if this was done by the company or by an individual? Also is it uncommon to see phones like this and would it be worth getting if i could ever afford it? http://cgi.ebay.com/261186025899

Ben,

That's certainly an interesting telephone! I have never, previously, heard of this particular 'legend', but it certainly sounds plausible/possible.

The only way, that I can think of, to even begin and try to ascertain 'whodunnit' would be by examination/comparison of the component dates... if they were within a reasonably short span of time, then, perhaps company/employee...

If they were all over the place, chronologically, then, I would have to guess 'individual, with a pile of spare parts.'

I maintain high hopes that those more knowledgeable will contribute their experience, and perhaps, pictures, of similar phones, to the benefit of us all.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Antique stores around here used to mix and match like that with all of their colored AE 80's. The only difference is that they would just swap housings and maybe the caps so the dial, cords and handset handle would usually be the same color.

Our "Phone-Mart" stores used to offer mix and match AE Stylelines for rent is people wanted them.

Terry

paul-f

I started a reply and quickly started going so far off topic that I started a new topic to collect info on the general notion of telephone sets with mixed colors.

Let's see how many other examples we can find and how many stories are used to rationalize the existence of these sets.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9039.0

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

Just a quick dip in rainbow paint, and.....
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

benkeys

I'd like to get this, but its WAY too expensive. The phone itself would be 40.00 if i got it at starting price and shipping is 28.00.. Theres no freaking way i'm paying 70.00 for that phone...
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

JorgeAmely

I could "make" a few of those phones with all the spare parts I have in my garage.
Jorge

WesternElectricBen

I saw that one on eBay. I probably would not buy it because it doesn't seem to be the earily kind where it was just two different colors. Probably someone just had different phones so they made them look more colorful.

Ben

twocvbloke

I'd certainly say that it's been made up with bits left over in a box of leftover parts they bought, if they had a time machine it'd sell well in the multi-coloured everything 1980s... ;D

benkeys

Right. I would like to make my own two tone sometime. I would just have to find a a phone and spare parts for the right price. I think i'd make a 2500 two tone first. That way i can put my poop brown one in the living room and have a colorful one for the bedroom.

DavePEI

Quote from: benkeys on March 21, 2013, 12:13:37 PM
Right. I would like to make my own two tone sometime. I would just have to find a a phone and spare parts for the right price. I think i'd make a 2500 two tone first. That way i can put my poop brown one in the living room and have a colorful one for the bedroom.

What shows up here a lot are Black/Yellow taxi phones. I don't know if they were ordered like that, or whether they were "assembled". I have a couple of NE 554's just as City Cab left them. Black dial, Yellow cases. If I remember correctly, yellow handsets with black caps.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

K1WI

Reminds me of a 90s VW Harlequin....but they came that way from the factory !
Andy F    K1WI

twocvbloke

That thing looks like most VW Golfs today, with many multi-coloured panels cos the old ones rusted away... :D

2CVs aren't exempt in the multi-coloured thing though... :o

oldphon

Terry, I remember seeing those multi-color AE 80's in that shop in BC, when I was up there years ago!  I think they were the only phones they had!

Jeremy

AE_Collector

Quote from: oldphon on March 22, 2013, 12:30:56 AM
Terry, I remember seeing those multi-color AE 80's in that shop in BC, when I was up there years ago!  I think they were the only phones they had!

Jeremy

Probably when you hit the antique stores on "Front Street" in New Westminster and then missed your flight home! Those shops there liked to mix the AE 80's up. Most of those antique stores are gone now. EbaY caught up with them in the end.

Terry