News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 3 Slot or Decorator Phone?

Started by FABphones, October 12, 2018, 04:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

C J.....Jim Engle Payphone installer will have what you need and answer any questions.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

The more I learn the less I know.... I think I should have walked away from this one....
....too late now, I will just have to somehow make good.

So... trying to make some sense of this - in answer to my previous question, is it/anything to do with the coin relay? And if it is (warning, am about to get technical here) - what is the possibly metal thingy that is missing from pic on first post in this thread, centre bottom, front, looks like it might have something to do with the (hopper?) drop into coin bucket area (because I thought that was the coin relay)?

Guys - save me. Don't suppose there is a photo someplace for comparison, with indicator arrows that point to the internals and list what they are called?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

That is a 2 nickel relay.this is used in paystations that need 10 cents to make a call. You put in one nickel to lock the latch and a 2nd nickel to release the latch. This is needed to prevent one nickel from allowing you to make a call on a 10 cent paystation.Not found on paystations that are set up for 5 cent service. I would not worry about this

FABphones

Quote from: rdelius on November 01, 2018, 03:44:10 PM
That is a 2 nickel relay.this is used in paystations that need 10 cents to make a call. You put in one nickel to lock the latch and a 2nd nickel to release the latch. This is needed to prevent one nickel from allowing you to make a call on a 10 cent paystation.Not found on paystations that are set up for 5 cent service. I would not worry about this

rdelius, thank you so much for your help on this thread. I won't be chasing one of those up then. Thank goodness, one less replacement part to find.

Was that a later adaptation, or were they on different models?

rdelius

When the price of a telephone call went up from 5 cents to 10 cents, this nickel relay was added.No set date because local regulators set rates.

FABphones

It has arrived.

The handset is ITT.

The sticker from centre of dial was removed prior to sending, as I have never seen one of these before could someone please tell me, re the centre dial card - does it fit behind the fingerplate or in front under an opal, this has none (apol for using UK terminology).

Also, unfortunately the plaque from the top is missing so I have no idea what model or approx age this phone is. Can anyone give me a rough idea?

Thanks again.

rdelius

The handset needed is an AE type 81 or 810 used on many different telephone sets .It is unmarked and the handle has a ridge down the handle.Possiblv an Italian AE might be the same. The missing data tag might be marked LPB 82 for your set. These sets were in production from the late 50s to the early 70s .The number card works like the older  metal French one but is smaller.Didnt you buy a Conn  tp6A set? . It would be the same assy.