News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this Payphone that came in a recently purchased telephone booth?

Started by zzfudge, March 20, 2019, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzfudge

Hello,
My office recently purchased an antique mahogany phone booth with a built-in rotary phone. We plugged the phone jack into the phone line and it rings, but that's all. We cannot answer the mystery phone calls and cannot dial out. Any advice would be appreciated.

zzfudge

Hello,

I'm trying to identify the phone that came with our office's new phone booth. The phone housing says Automatic Electric Company. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

poplar1

Is the cord from the upper housing plugged into the socket that is on the lower right corner of the blue board? It is designed to unplug when you need to work on the phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zzfudge

The board is as you see it. The outer housing is unplugged and removed.

poplar1

zzfudge

Yes, the result is the same with and without the housing. The phone rings, cannot be answered and cannot dial out.

HarrySmith

The phone has been heavily modified. The Teltronics board could be causing your issues. Have you tried putting coins in it? I am in awe at the hack job that was done on the switch hook! I am sure one of our Payphone experts will chime in on this issue soon, I am not one of them.
BTW - Welcome to the forum!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

That is not so bad... I have seen MUCH more frightening hacks.
That actually looks pretty good.
Most of the mods have been done well enough to work.
Maybe your dial needs some attention?
just guessing... not a pay phone tech/wizard either.
And Yup...Welcome to the sand box!

Key2871

Yea, that board needs to be tested for function but I have not worked with that board in a long time. So I'm going to leave it for more qualified than I.
KEN

poplar1

You said the phone does ring. When you attempt to answer it, does the bell keep ringing, or does it stop?

If you call the pay phone from another line (such as a cell phone), then pick up the receiver of the pay phone once the phone starts ringing, does it sound like someone answered the pay phone, or that no one ever answered (continue to hear the ring cadence in your ear on the cell phone)?

Also, if you look at the side of the contacts of the hookswitch, does it appear that at least 2 of them make (close together) when the handset is lifted out of the cradle?

Dan/Panther

I'd check that black wire first it appears to have been modified.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

If this was a regular phone instead of a payphone, I'd say the hookswitch wiring need to be checked to see if it was wired correctly.

zzfudge

Quote from: poplar1 on March 22, 2019, 04:54:58 PM
You said the phone does ring. When you attempt to answer it, does the bell keep ringing, or does it stop?

If you call the pay phone from another line (such as a cell phone), then pick up the receiver of the pay phone once the phone starts ringing, does it sound like someone answered the pay phone, or that no one ever answered (continue to hear the ring cadence in your ear on the cell phone)?

Also, if you look at the side of the contacts of the hookswitch, does it appear that at least 2 of them make (close together) when the handset is lifted out of the cradle?

The phone continues to ring when the receiver leaves the cradle and no change occurs on the caller's end. It seems like one of the contacts obviously makes and maybe not the second? I've attached photos of the contacts with no pressure on the cradle and with the cradle pressed down.

Texas1880

What's your goal for the phone? Do you wish it to simply work when dialed, and be able to make calls? Or do you want it to work with coins

Payphone installer

Depends on weather the Teltronics board was post pay or prepay on how it operates. since there appears to be no way left to recognize coin presence, I would assume that the circuit was modified to fake coin presence. Try reversing the polarity going into the board. If that does not work I would remove it throw it away and get the older guts.