News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (126 Cancelled: Listing Terminated) - American Bell Potbelly Candlestick

Started by TelePlay, July 24, 2014, 07:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This was listed about a day and a half ago in a 5 day eBay auction at $10, thanks to poplar1 for bringing it to my attention this morning. I found a very similar phone (the perch is different) on the Old Telephones web site as the 23rd rarest candlestick, in their professional opinion. After a day and a half, 5 bidders have increased the starting price to $766.99 with 7 bids.

There are 3 1/2 days left in the auction so even though time is short, there is enough time for a contest. Guesses can be entered up until 24 hours before the auction ends. This Telescoping Potbelly Candlestick is being discussed on the forum in its own topic started by a new forum member, gotmusic328 in their very first and so far only post to the forum. So once again, the question is, who best knows the selling price of this item, or in other words, game on.

The seller listed it as an "Potbelly Candlestick Telephone, American Tel & Tel Co,The American Bell Company" with the item condition as "Used" and "- - - " with the auction listing description (seller put it in all caps) as:  "UP FOR BID IS A POTBELLY CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE. THE MARKINGS ON IT ARE AS FOLLOWS:  ON THE BACK OF THE MOUTHPIECE: PROPERTY OF THE AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE COMPANY. ON THE FRONT OF THE MOUTHPIECE: AMERICAN TEL & TEL CO  337  PAT USA 114 13 323 15. THE ORIGINAL WIRING LOOKS PRESENT. SOME OF THE CABLE CLOTH IS STILL THERE. THE MOUTHPIECE DOESN'T HAVE THE WIRE HOOKED UP. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THESE PHONES SO ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK AND I WILL TRY TO ANSWER THE BEST I CAN. I WILL ALSO SEND MORE PICTURES ON REQUEST FOR SERIOUS BIDDERS. SELLING AS-IS. "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141354528168

NOTE: This contest will use a 3% gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, guess gaps of 6+% can be split. I'll help with these as the auction goes forward and guesses are entered. It's another chance to either move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list.

. . . for as twocvbloke said,    - - - >  "You gotta be in it to win it ! ! !". . .   ;D "

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$   1,999.00 - New England Tel.  ( 1 )
$   2,200.00 - wds  ( 6 )
$   2,300.00 - WesternElectricBen  ( 2 )
$   2,750.00 - Mr. Bones  ( 8 )
$   3,128.00 - Fabius  ( 7 )
$   3,225.00 - Kenton K  ( 5 )
$   3,400.00 - poplar1  ( 3 )
$   3,600.00 - tallguy58  ( 9 )
$   3,800.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 4 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

07-22-14     Listed    $       10.00
07-23-14     5 bids    $     756.99
07-24-14     7 bids    $     766.99
07-25-14   13 bids    $  2,225.00
07-26-14   15 bids    $  2,421.00

Listing terminated on July 26th about 3:35 pm PDT

07-27-14     Listing ends at 18:00:43 PDT

New England Tel.

-Bob Archambault

TelePlay

Quote from: New England Tel. on July 24, 2014, 07:47:12 AM
This auction doesn't end until 2064??   ;D

Thanks, Bob. That's what happens rushing to get a contest up before work. Fixed!

New England Tel.

-Bob Archambault

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Kenton K

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Mr. Bones

I'd like to enter a guess of $2750, if it fits in OK...

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Here's the 3% no crowding gap spreadsheet for this contest, after 9 guesses.

Just a bit more than 12 hours to go to get those last day guesses in, for anyone who still wants to play in this contest.

TelePlay

Well, that really sucks!

The stick was up to $3,276.77 with a day to go in the auction and now come to find out that "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" on July 26th at about 3:35 pm PDT. Nice, huh?

Okay, will it be relisted or did the seller cave in to a "special" buyer with a great message to the seller? The seller joined the forum on July 23rd, put up one post of this stick on July 23rd and hasn't been back since to read the replies or post again. Do I sound mad? Hope so.

If anyone sees this come back up on eBay, let me know by PM.

As such, this contest is hereby cancelled with no winner.

Thanks to everyone for playing. We will start the guessing over if the phone is relisted.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill