and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Someone got a DEAL on ebay -- A WE 302 with a #1 dial

Started by Desert Phone Guy, November 07, 2018, 11:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

Was looking at completed listings yesterday and found this:

ebay Item number:  253965831382

It looks like a Western Electric Number One dial cobbled into a metal 302.

I can't seem to copy the link, but this was the item number.

Steve

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

Can't dig up any information on the " Number One" dial. Anyone care to inform us about this dial? Rare? Worth $126?

Thanks,

Desert Phone Guy

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

I guess that has to be rare for that value, I am still genuine interested in the mechanism, do you have any links to more pictures and documentation on that dial.  Dials was boring until I started to look at all the variants and details.

Ktownphoneco

I had the patent for it around here (on computer) somewhere.     I'll see if I can find it.

Jeff Lamb

FABphones

Listing was up for 17 minutes before it sold.
Best offer enabled!

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Ktownphoneco

The dial may re-appear on eBay, in about as much time as it takes for the set to get to it's destination, only this time, there will probably be a "slight" price adjustment.   ;D

Attached is what I believe to be the United States Patent Office information on Western's type 1 dial.   Patent Applied For : March 1915.      Patent issued :  November 1915   Inventor : Oscar F., FORSBERG (this gentleman is responsible for a number of telephone related inventions).       Patent Assigned to :  Western Electric - New York City, NY.    Patent No. :  US 1,161,854.

Jeff 

Doug Rose

This is Gary Goffs #1....It is a beauty. Take a few days looking at this amazing collection....Doug

http://www.telephonecollector.info/collectionsite/
Kidphone

dsk

Thank you, great information. This was already a well designed unit in 1915! Compared to the BTMC 7001 it is bigger, but looks absolutely more serviceable and reliable.  And of-course far much better than the Strowger dial, but that was the beginning, and whats coming after the prototyp use to be better  :)

dsk

rdelius

How did they make it fit in the hole? Or were spacers used to clear the fingerstop