News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1901 Kellogg?

Started by jeremylivin, July 05, 2012, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremylivin

Hey everyone!  It's been a couple of years since I posted here...  I got sidetracked with life, a new baby, and my masters degree.

Still have 3-4 project phones waiting to be worked on though!

I saw this auction and wanted to get everyones thoughts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-1901-KELLOGG-OAK-WALL-TELEPHONE-NO-RESERVE-/140791229201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c7cfab11

Is it salvageable?  I would love to have an old wood phone to hang in my house but haven't yet found the right one for me.  I can't afford to spend a fortune on one, but I do want something usable.

Thanks and I'll try to stick around a bit more this time!

-Jeremy
Jeremy Livingston

Doug Rose

Jeremy....for $100 you should be able to get a very displayable wood phone for your house This needs a lot of work and is not worth the $100 asking price, let alone shipping...Doug
Kidphone

jeremylivin

Thanks for the info!

I'll keep looking and one of these days I'm sure I'll find a decent one at the right price.
Jeremy Livingston

LarryInMichigan

I see them frequently on the local craigslist and at the flea market.  Finding one in good condition for under $150 is not very difficult.  Good luck!

Larry

HowardPgh

That looks more like a Western Electric 1317 inside, I think the termite got to the door.
Howard

rdelius

i agree that is  a WE 317 with a Kellogg faceplateSomeone might have put a radio in it at one time and the holes were for the speaker.Missing long arm and shelf also Not worth much but the faceplate is one of the nice ones.

dpaynter1066

This is why the Romans drank hemlock when the Vandals took over.  The poor woman likely needs the money if her husbands judgement is anything to go by.

I say buy it and bury it deep beneath an oak tree where impressionable children can't be influenced by it.

jeremylivin

haha ok thanks.

So any suggestions on an historic looking wall phone (similar in look to this) but that will still funtion today?  I also need something common enough to be fairly inexpensive.

I just don't know enough about them to even know where to start looking.  Even a couple of models to look for would help.

Also, I'm confined to mostly online searches.  I have small kids, working full time, and a full time masters student... so time to get out and shop the flea markets or garage sales is almost nil.

Thanks!
Jeremy Livingston

sebbel

How about an N417CG? It's not nearly as historic but has similar looks. If your interested you can even have this one. We are moving to a smaller place so I'm only keeping small phones. Also this is common enough that I can get one later.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6774.msg77676#msg77676

PM me if you are interested. I'm driving to Lake Placid in 2 days so I could be shipped from there which may lower shipping.
Seb.