News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DialGizmo Dial-Hold features don't work on WE 500

Started by Telephones_etc, January 13, 2019, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephones_etc

Hello fellow CRPF members. A couple of years back, I purchased a DialGizmo® PtTC (Pulse-to Tone Converter). When I plugged it in to my WE 302, everything functioned properly. PtT conversion, dial-hold features, the works. However, when I tested it out on my WE 500 none of the dial-hold features functioned. Sure, your basic PtT conversion worked just fine, but nothing else. I was using Ooma® VoIP when I first tested it, and just recently I switched to 1-VoIP® but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any insight into why this is the case? I have a hunch it's because of the different electrical contacts on the WE 302 & 500, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Telephones_etc :)

(PS, I like how the little ® symbol looked, so I just put it after all the company names :) )
"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

robert_m

To funny I just posted the same device dont work on OOMA, Charter VoIP, or threw a Merlin PBX............always dials 1 or totally incorrect, numbers over 4 dont even send tone.  Junk.

AL_as_needed

I'm assuming that your 500 has an acceptable make/break rate for all digits? My XLink (which acts as a pulse to tone converter) had to be tweaked to allow off spec dial rates.
TWinbrook7

dsk

This is a known problem, it will work with dial shorting the entire line when used, but you get problems with e.g. the 500.  Moving the white dial wires to RR and C will often solve the problem.

dsk

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Telephones_etc

Quote from: dsk on January 14, 2019, 01:41:21 AM
This is a known problem, it will work with dial shorting the entire line when used, but you get problems with e.g. the 500.  Moving the white dial wires to RR and C will often solve the problem.

dsk

Can you post a picture of what you mean? I have a 500 with the standard 425B network, but I'm not seeing a "C" terminal.
"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

dsk

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Telephones_etc on January 17, 2019, 11:29:27 AM
Can you post a picture of what you mean? I have a 500 with the standard 425B network, but I'm not seeing a "C" terminal.

This diagram shows a 425B but no "C" terminal (I don't have access to a 500 right now to visually check all terminals).

Attached is the 425E showing the C terminal on that network.

Can you post an picture of your network?

jsowers

The network DSK posted looks like an NE rather than a WE network.
Jonathan

dsk

My 500, I have not moved the white wires, I use it on an old PAX. The C teminal is a single screw down left under the dial.  (As you see, I do collect dust too :-)   )

Telephones_etc

Quote from: dsk on January 17, 2019, 02:32:30 PM
My 500, I have not moved the white wires, I use it on an old PAX. The C teminal is a single screw down left under the dial.  (As you see, I do collect dust too :-)   )

Ah, this is most helpful. Thanks!

-Alexander Graham Bell

poplar1

425B network has a soldered connection for the brown switch-hook wire where C would be located on later 425-type networks.

You can still move the 2 white dial wires to RR and L2 (rather than RR and C) in order to short the line when dial is in use.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

Quote from: poplar1 on January 17, 2019, 09:58:14 PM
425B network has a soldered connection for the brown switch-hook wire where C would be located on later 425-type networks.

You can still move the 2 white dial wires to RR and L2 (rather than RR and C) in order to short the line when dial is in use.

That should be a great alternative, I did not know that some networks did not have the C terminal.

Telephones_etc

Quote from: dsk on January 18, 2019, 12:55:29 PM
That should be a great alternative, I did not know that some networks did not have the C terminal.

Great, thanks! Is there any way to short the line with a 302?

-Alexander Graham Bell

poplar1

Quote from: Telephones_etc on January 18, 2019, 03:55:29 PM
Great, thanks! Is there any way to short the line with a 302?

302 if wired correctly already shorts the line when dialing, except when it opens the line to send the dial pulses. Note that the slate-red jumper on R terminal of dial goes to L1, and the BK terminal on the dial goes through the dial pulsing contacts (Y and BK) then from Y on dial  through the yellow and brown-yellow hookswitch contacts (when phone if off-hook) to L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.