News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring the leather bottom of a WE 202??

Started by The Soph Gent, April 19, 2012, 10:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Soph Gent

Can anyone guide me on how to restore the leather (suede) bottom of a WE 202? Is there a way to successfully bring it back or enhance it?

Doug Rose

A suede brush does wonders on the matted down suede. I keep an old one on my work bench for them.

After cleaning it the best you can, use the suede brush on it. After I am finished with the suede brush, I use Avon Skin so Soft on it. It softens up the suede, darkens it and makes it look great IMHO....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

If it needs replacing, as opposed to touching up, go to the last forum - Vendor Experiences - and look for our member dennis "dencins". He has done a couple for me.

Bill

The Soph Gent

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 19, 2012, 11:04:07 AM
A suede brush does wonders on the matted down suede. I keep an old one on my work bench for them.

After cleaning it the best you can, use the suede brush on it. After I am finished with the suede brush, I use Avon Skin so Soft on it. It softens up the suede, darkens it and makes it look great IMHO....Doug

Doug, you really like that skin-soft stuff, don't you? A couple of weeks ago, I was researching the best way to restore metal/bakelite/plastic phones and saw many of your posts recommending the skin-so-soft.  So I did buy it and it puts a great shine to the phones. In fact you can regulate the amount of shine by how long you leave it on. After I put it on a "Galion", I didn't care for the super high gloss (like I thought I would). But I just wiped it down after about 3 hours and it gave me the perfect amount of gloss.
But have to admit that I am surprised you are suggesting it on the suede. But will give it a try.

Doug Rose

Avon SSS is great for anything that is porous. I think you will be surprised at the difference a suede brush and the SSS will make to the suede cover. ...Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Doug - What method/tool do you use to apply the Avon SSS on the suede?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

I don't know why, but I just saw this in new messages!! Sorry for the delay in answering

I use a suede brush on it to try to restore the nap to the suede. I wash my hands and rub SOS into the suede by hand. When it looks even, I let it dry for a few days and then use a suede brush on it again. I always add extra SOS by a Qtip to the suede by the ring. This makes an amazing transformation in my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 03, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
I don't know why, but I just saw this in new messages!! Sorry for the delay in answering

I use a suede brush on it to try to restore the nap to the suede. I wash my hands and rub SOS into the suede by hand. When it looks even, I let it dry for a few days and then use a suede brush on it again. I always add extra SOS by a Qtip to the suede by the ring. This makes an amazing transformation in my humble opinion....Doug

Thanks!  Strange that the date stamp on my post says Today at 6:09am.  I posted that a few days ago.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 03, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
I use a suede brush on it to try to restore the nap to the suede. I wash my hands and rub SOS into the suede by hand. When it looks even, I let it dry for a few days and then use a suede brush on it again. I always add extra SOS by a Qtip to the suede by the ring. This makes an amazing transformation in my humble opinion....

Doug,

Are you still using this method or have you moved on to something else?

xzzx-suede restoration-xzzx

Doug Rose

A brass wire suede brush....yes it is still my method of choice. Darkens the suede and make it look like new again. Do not over use the SSS, a little goes a long way. I like to wipe in with my hands without gloves. I made the mistake with dirty hands and ruined a cover...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

I had forgotten this topic was out there from a year or more ago until finding it last week while searching for something else (which I did not find).

I've used Doug's method several times on 302 feet but this time I took pictures. If you start with a foot in good condition, this eliminates the need to recover the foot pad. The process is clean the felt as needed and then brush it to loosen up the suede surface, apply the SSS, let it dry (2 days worked for me) and then brush it with the suede brush.

Posting for posterity in case anyone may be interested in seeing how it works.

Lewes2

Thanks, Doug!

This really works.  The trick is getting a good suede brush.  I found the "magic juice".   :D

Chuck

Doug Rose

Kidphone