News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need new handset cord for 1962 AE LPB-82-55

Started by jjacob, October 22, 2013, 12:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacob

So I have finished fixing up my AE LPB-82-55. However the handset cord, which appears to be original is cracking from age and has one split in the outer rubber cover. So I would like to replace it.

The cord is Black, coiled, and the outer cover is rubber. This is a four conductor cord. The cord is thicker than the vinyl types you see on standard wall or desk phones.

Inside the cord is labeled: Spiraflex D-543346

I would prefer a cord that is a little longer than the one currently on the phone.

I have searched the internet and found only three likely candidates. I need your help to identify the best replacement.

These two cords are on the phonecoinc.com site:
XCC20  http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?rpage=search&category=Paypart#01002

ORCC-4  http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?gorl=list&horh=home&group=misc&category=Jack&map=1

On ebay there is this cord listed. Would it work with my phone?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-BELL-SYSTEM-9-BLACK-HANDSET-CORD-FOR-3-SLOT-PAYPHONE-H4CJ-3-/290998402517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c0db3dd5

If you know of any other sources for a correct replacement cord, please let me know.
Thanking you in advance for the usual great advice.

John

HarrySmith

That is an awful short cord! I do not see any strain reliefs on either end, going into the handset or into the phone. I would hazard a guess it is not the correct cord. IIRC payphone cords were reinforced at these points to deal with heavy use.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jjacob

Well with a payphone I don't think they expected you to venture too far from the phone! :D
There are two crimped on clamps at each end of the cord that are screwed down to the handset and payphone upper chassis.
I found an AE cord ordering document from 1975 online. It shows the replacement cord to be a 4PA3-K. Can't find it anywhere on the internet.
Maybe I will try calling Phoneco and get their recommendation.
John

G-Man

It's unlikely that you will find a handset cord intended specifically for a payphone that is not steel-jacketed.

The cord listed in 1975 document, which I assume you found in the TCI Library, was soon obsolete.

That is not to say that you will be unable to find another, more common, cord that will be suitable for use with your AECo paystation.

jjacob

Thanks G-man,
Kind of what I figured. I think Phoneco will be my best option. Just need it to be black and as thick as the current cord, and a little longer.

I do not want an armored cable.

Going to also build the touch tone pad that Stan Schreier posted plans for. I got four nice ITT #42 touch pads for cheap on ebay.

John

HarrySmith

Before you go ordering one from Canada let me check my box-o-cords. I think I have a few thick black cords that are in good shape left. I will let you know tonight after work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

If you cannot locate an AE cord,remember the color code is different on a WE cord.Save your old strain relief and move it to the replacement cord if it is diffferent

poplar1

Would there be a problem with using a handset cord from a black AE 80 or AE 90? Those should be available "slightly used" if not new. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jjacob

The cord that is on the phone is definitely the original. The phone is a 1962 year of manufacture. The picture on the AE manual for 1962 shows this short coiled cord without molded strain reliefs at either end. There are metal strain reliefs clamped to both ends of the cord that are screwed to the phone housing and handset.

My requirement is only that the cord is coiled, rubber jacketed, black, 4 conductor, and the same length or, preferably, just a little longer. I think this is a 4.5ft cord. A 6ft. cord would be better. An AE cord is preferred.

Harry, thanks for looking, we will see what you come up with.

John

G-Man

It really depends on when your paystation was manufactured.

The cord shown was original for a paystation manufactured in the 60's but still it would be nice to find an old-style cord for your instrument.

Steve just posted this on the TCI list:

I found these new old stock hardwire handset cords:

Automatic Electric: Sea Green, Yellow, Light Blue, $3.50 each.
W.E., ITT, S-C Equivalent: Dark Red, Orange $3.50 each.
Special: Set of one Pink Mounting Cord, and one A.E. Pink Handset Cord: $5.00.

Postage Extra

Steve Hilsz

So you may want to contact him to see if he happens to have black n.o.s. handset cords for AECo paystations.

Quote from: jjacob on October 24, 2013, 03:36:25 PM
The cord that is on the phone is definitely the original. The phone is a 1962 year of manufacture. The picture on the AE manual for 1962 shows this short coiled cord without molded strain reliefs at either end. There are metal strain reliefs clamped to both ends of the cord that are screwed to the phone housing and handset.

My requirement is only that the cord is coiled, rubber jacketed, black, 4 conductor, and the same length or, preferably, just a little longer. I think this is a 4.5ft cord. A 6ft. cord would be better. An AE cord is preferred.

Harry, thanks for looking, we will see what you come up with.

John

jjacob

Thanks G-man, I just sent Steve an email.

John

HarrySmith

I checked my box yesterday and I do not have anything that will fit your needs, sorry!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jjacob

Thanks for looking Harry!

I received an email back from Steve Hilsz. He has only the Western Electric type of handset cords which he can sell me (for a very reasonable price) and he will add the metal clamp stays on the end of the cord for me.

I will go this route unless Phonecoinc has something that will work better.

Thanks to all for your advice.

John

AE_Collector

I think that there is a "good" reason for short cords on 3 slot payphones. They were frequently installed side by side and the longer the handset cord the easier t omake a long distance phone call and hold the handset against the adjacent 3 slot phone that you are depositing the coins into. The operator would hear all the correct dings and put the call through while you recover all your coins from the adjacent phones coin return that was on hook the whole time.

I see no reason that an AE 80/90 4 conductor black cord wouldn't work for this payphone, they may have even still been 3 conductor then. The trick is finding a good rubber rather than vinyl cord. I don't know about strain reliefs as payphones were always armored cords when I worked on them.

Terry

jjacob

Hi Terry,

Very interesting information!

Yep, cord is original to phone. Also definately a four conductor.

These late Fifties and early sixties payphones had rubber coil cords. I wonder if someone knows when they started armoring them?

I will look into the cords that you suggest. Thanks.

John