News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lost on wiring for WE 302 ...oops 304 I meant!

Started by shortrackskater, January 31, 2015, 11:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I must be the dumbest person on earth with regard to phone wiring. None of this makes sense. The diagram shows the mounting cord having two of each... tip party? ring party? What's that? The table 5 chart shows mounting cord in set and mounting cord at connecting block. I don't know what that means either. What's L2Y? I don't have that... I have an L2, but no Y. A wiring list posted here show two wires from the capacitor but mine has 4 wires.
Is there any diagram anywhere that just shows the wiring for this phone?
Mark J.

Phonesrfun

You have a 304 and if your diagram shows L2Y then you are looking at a diagram for a 302.  I will post wire-by-wire instructions for you to follow.  Ringing schemes such as bridged, tip party or ring party have to do with how ringing is done on party lines so that only one phone rings on a shared line.  Bridged ringing is the only kind of ringing that is in place these days.

Stay tuned for the instructions.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

First of all, locate the terminal board on the base of the phone that has terminals labeled L1, L2, K, and GND.  It is a little black square board next to the induction coil.  Next, locate the induction coil which has terminals RR, M, C, R and GN.

Line cord wires:

•   Red to terminal L1 on the terminal board
•   Green to terminal L2 on the terminal board
•   Yellow and black line cord wires – do not connect.  Tape the ends separately.  These are not needed.  Some cords don't even have a black.  The yellow was needed only for party line ringing which is not used these days.

Ringer wires:

•   Red to terminal L1 on the terminal board along with the red line cord wire
•   Black to terminal K on the terminal board
•   Both the slate and slate/red ringer wires should go to terminal GND on the terminal board (Slate is another word for light gray)

Capacitor wires:

•   Yellow to L2 on the terminal board
•   Slate to terminal K on the terminal board
•   Black to the BK terminal on the dial
•   Red to terminal C on the induction coil

Note: The two light colored capacitor wires, slate and yellow, are sometimes indistinguishable in color due to fading and age.  Since this capacitor is not polarity sensitive, these lighter wires can be reversed without a problem if you cannot tell them apart.

Jumper wires:

•   Wire a piece of wire between L2 on the terminal board to RR on the induction coil.  (This takes the place of the third section of hookswitch which is missing from a 302 series hookswitch.
•   There should also be a jumper wire between RR on the induction coil and R on the dial

Hookswitch:

•   Yellow to terminal L1 on the terminal board
•   Brown/Yellow to Y on the dial
•   Green to GN on the induction coil
•   Brown/Blue to BB on the dial

Handset:

•   White to W on the dial
•   Black to BK on the dial
•   Red to R on the induction coil

That is it.  Just to make sure, however, check to see that the following are true.  (These connections have already been covered above):

Induction coil:

•   RR has two jumper wires connected to it.  One goes to R on the dial and the other goes to L2 on the terminal board.
•   C has the red capacitor wire connected to it
•   GN has a green hookswitch wire connected to it
•   R has the red handset wire connected to it.
•   M has nothing connected to it.

Dial:

•   W has the white handset wire
•   BB has the brown/blue hookswitch wire
•   R has a jumper to RR on the induction coil
•   Y has the brown/yellow hookswitch wire
•   BK has the black handset wire and the black capacitor wire

Terminal board:

•   L1 has the red line cord wire, the red ringer wire and the yellow hookswtich wire
•   L2 has the green line cord wire, a jumper to RR on the induction coil, and the yellow  capacitor wire
•   GND has the slate and the slate/red ringer wires
•   K has the slate capacitor wire and the black ringer wire

Compare all of this with the 304 wiring diagram attached to this message.  You will find that the only difference is that the 304 came stock with a third hookswitch section, and your replacement hookswitch is from a 302.  In place of that hookswitch section, we have put a jumper wire between L2 on the terminal strip and RR on the induction coil.  Having a 302 hookswitch versus a 304 hookswitch does not cause any problems. 
-Bill G

G-Man

Perhaps this wiring diagram borrowed from Steph Kerman will help understand what Bill and popularone have been trying to convey.

shortrackskater

THANK YOU phonesrfun and G man... Sorry for the delayed response; that thing called "work" keeps getting in the way of my phone fun.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Okay I finally got the wiring correct! Phone dials out, rings, speaker works... BUT the mic doesn't! I took another one out of a slightly later WE phone and still nothing. It was a smaller one but the contacts still lined up. Any ideas?
Mark J.

Phonesrfun

Hmmmm...  If you can hear anything at all in the receiver, then the transmitter either has to be in the circuit or the red and black handset wires might be shorted, perhaps in the handset handle,  (could be elsewhere too).  Can you take c close-up photo of the handset inside the cup that holds the transmitter where the handset wires are attached to the contacts?  That's where I would start.

One test that would be difinitive is if you can still hear anything or get dial tone with the transmitter completely removed from the handset.  If you can hear anything with the transmitter out, then you have a short.
-Bill G

shortrackskater

The receiving audio is great!
I did double check the handset wiring in the phone. Here's a shot of the inside of the handset.
With transmitter in/out I still hear audio.
Mark J.

Phonesrfun

the black and white wires are reversed.  the black wire should connect to the center transmitter contact.  The red handset cord is in the proper position.  Reverse white and black and you should be good to go.
-Bill G

shortrackskater

THANK YOU!!!
I have a working phone, after probably 42 years of just sitting around. My uncle, who gave me the phone, passed away many years ago. He'd be very proud that I (and the help from you and gman, and others) got it functioning.
Thanks again
mark
Mark J.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Babybearjs

Always remember.... R: RED  W: WHT  BK: BLK....
John

shortrackskater

Thank you.
Phone still working great although I have not used it much in the year I've had it working.
However, I recently bought a device that connects to my cell phone via bluetooth.
My old phone plugs in the back and when it links to my cell, I then get my cell calls on the old phone, complete with a cool sounding "ring ring" when I get a call.
It works great but I cannot make calls on it... I'd say due to the dial.
So I bought a phone line switch and I can toggle between my cell and the land line connection.
It works great.
Mark J.