"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My wall phone finally came!!!

Started by Bill Cahill, December 11, 2008, 12:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

;D

My mid 60's yellow WE wall phone arrived by snail mail this morning. It was a kind gift from a friend. Without his permission, I cannot say who. I'll post picture of it later today. I'm getting over the flu now, and, feel weak.
Case appears to be pretty decent.
Needs innor cleaning, and, oiling. No biggy.
This phone is like the kitchen wall phone my mother had in the mid 60's. I'll be putting it in my kitchen. Color matches perfectly with my early 50's oval yellow kitchen table with steel legs.
Oh, by the way. Though colors are un matched, I also have the following kitchen items.
Late 40's white single stoop foot stool. Rubber matt on top, and, rubber bottoms on feet.
Have a late 40's red and white 3 shelf cart on casters.
Late 40's red and, white slightly padded stool with attatched foot stool.
Also  have an early 50's two slice toaster,
And, an exact replacement  electric mixer like my mother's from late 40's. It comes with the stand, beaters,  extra attachments, including a juicer, and, two white mixing bowls.
My house is a late 50's house with few physical updates.
I will be setting up kitchen as a 50's kitchen..
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

That's cool, Bill!  I'm getting a 1954 Roadmaster travel trailer, in a very 1950s aqua color and mostly original honey-colored birch interior. In fact the trailer was my inspiration that got me interested in the phones and radios, as well as some other period pieces, like the Henry Dreyfuss designed clocks, etc..

http://www.birchwoodbeauties.com/pages/54roadmaster.html

I hope you can post pictures of your completed 1950s kitchen sometime. I remember some great displays at the Oakland Caif Museum, of kitchens of each decade.  The display of the 1940s kitchen made my Dad say "Wow!  That was our kitchen!".

Oh, and...get well soon, Bill!

JimH

Wow, Hobie, those are really cool trailers.   Growing up we had a 1961 Trotwood we took all over the place.  One of those Birchwoods reminds me of the "New Moon" in "The Long, Long Trailer".
Jim H.

Bill Cahill

Well, I've finally got the pictures of it. I haven't done any cleaning, yet. I'm a little dissappointed, as it's a 1978 model with parts from 1974 in it, but, still, it looks well made. The same quality parts as the earlier ones. Big difference is to accommodate the modular plug on the back of the phone they took the main chassis, and, mounted it on an outside sub-chassis with the modular plug.
Also, the bright yellow plastic case isn't painted. That's the real thing.
Case is earlier, as the half round hole on the bottom middle front is still there for the line wire.

The reason I'm dissappointed is I was going to use it in my 50's kitchen. Ah, but, that's alright.... I'll use it in my dining room, which is more eclectic. Much better match there, and, will look great in there.
So, mostly positive....
Well worth saving, in my book.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Bill, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the chassis.  It looks like it has a modular back plate that was added to allow the phones to be hung onto a standard wall plate.  Maybe you could post a photo of the back.  I noticed the 313 dial card which at one time was all of southeast Michigan---now it is just theCity of Detroit.  The phone sticker indicates it was in Allen Park which is a suburban community south and west of Detroit---typically called "Downriver".

That phone looks like it should clean up nicely.

Dennis

Bill Cahill

Sorry. I don't know all the terms for phones. In the radio business, we'd call that a sub chassis.
Yes, I agree with you, but, the modular plug is also back there.
Would it be wrong to modify this phone for external wiring?
Not sure Detroit is 313 any more, either. I have a friend in Warren, which is suburb to Det., and, his are code is 586.
My folks' old area code was 313.
In fact, our late 50's no, which no longer exists was
Lakeview 1-5783.
The old tv shop no before Michigan Bell made us change to all numbers was Lakeview 7-3322.
After the change it became 527-3322.
Bill Cahill

Dennis Markham

Bill, it would not be difficult to remove that sub-chassis and install a line cord.  I'd be happy to help you with that when you're ready.  We can communicate via e-mail.

Warren is in the 586 area code (in Macomb Co).  Pretty much just the City proper of Detroit is still 313.

For anyone interested in a list of all the area codes check here:

http://www.bennetyee.org/ucsd-pages/area.html

Bill Cahill

Thankds, much...
Hmm. I think I said something not quite right. My dissappointment isn't with the phone. Merely that it is later than my original planned spot....
However, I feel it should do great in the other room, and, still seems to have  the old WE quality to it....
Bill Cahill

McHeath

You've got a really cool deal with your time period kitchen.  Post a pic or two, enquiring minds would like to see it.  Sorry this 554 is not quite as early as would fit your needs, but it's a nice enough phone overall.

Our kitchen is mostly 1966, and all the maple paneling is intact, wood floor, maple plywood cabinets, and some of the original tile counters, it feels a little older than it is, more like a late 50's kitchen.  Sadly all the original appliances were removed in the early 90s, which is a shame, as well as the original UFO style reel mount light fixtures.  One of the UFO reel mount lights was in the garage in a box when I moved in, and in a moment of pure utter stupidity I threw it away right after I moved in.  Makes me sick whenever I think about it. 

Bill Cahill

When I have it cleaner, I will take some pictures of my kitchen.
Wall paper, cabinets, and, sink are original to house.
So is the light above the original sinks.
I had to replace original rusted out refrigerator, and, burned out GE Electric cook top range. It used push buttons, and, the push buttons were burned out, along with three of the burners.
Oven is original.
It still works.
Some of the cupboards need major repair work, which I want to have done. I'm staying with the original. Formica counter tops have seen better days.
The house was rental property before I bought it, so, had some neglect.
I'm on a tight budget, so repairs are very slow. I had to put a new roof on the house five years ago.
The house was kind of sad when I bought it.
It's better in some ways than when I bought it.
It's a concrete brick home built in 1959.
Has an attached garage.
Some time ago someone had removed a bearing wall between the living room, and, dining room, and, had to add support to keep the roof up.
The plumbing is mostly good after quite a few repairs, and, wiring, while outdated, did get some up dating, and, I've been installing grounded outlets.
Kitchen cupboards are wood.
Both bathrooms have mostly original fixtures.
One bathroom in main house is blue interior. One off master bedroom has pink interior.
I bought this house as is, as that is the only way I could swing buying the place.
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther

I don't think it would be to hard to figure out which bathroom you use, would it now ??? ::) ;D :D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Bill, speaking of buying an older home "as is" in order to afford it, ours was built right after WWII, all knotty pine interior.  The toilet was actually falling through the floor.  ::)
At least it's easy to find the correct period telephones...WE302s of course. :)
But I do know the feeling of how slow it can be to fix the old places up; you start on one part of the house, work your way through, then go back and start at the beginning again... :P

McHeath

Yeah an older house is an eternal project, even one as "new" as my 1966 ranch style house.  My wood shake roof keeps staring at me, daring me to try to afford to replace it.  And the old galvanized steel plumbing is starting to send a lot of rust out with the water, we all know where that leads to.  (hint, uber $$$ down the drain) 

Bill Cahill

Geez. Most of my plumbing is copper.
They should NEVER have used galvinized pipes for plumbing!!
They knew better than that......
Yeh, my floors are a mess, as I said, one kitchen cupboard needs major repairs, One hanging cupboard needs interior work,
I've done some wiring, and, plumbing work,
New roof five years ago. Never ending.....
I turn around, and, great. Here's a new problem...
Or, one of the old ones acts up again......
Especially the plumbing.....

;lol;
Well, I guess we've gotten off subject here, but, I love this old house. The only one I wish I had more was my parent's house, and, sadly, someone tore the place down ten years ago.

Having all my "junk" toyz in here sure don't make it any easier to work on the place....
Did I ever tell you guys I have 45 antique tv's,
25 antique, and, vintage radios, 37 antique record players, 15 antique wind up phonographs,  about  500 cylinder records, 50 16" transcription discs, 6,000 78's, 2,000 45's, 1,000 lp's  4 wire recorders, furniture, a modern tv, which is a 6 year old 23" color tv, and, a ton of parts????
Oh. To keep it telephone related, I have 8 vintage telephones, 3 modern phones, and, some phone parts?????
There. See? We're still talking phones here..... ;lol;
Oh, oh. I forgot.
I'm waiting for a friend to deliver two more antique tv's from Michigan when he comes on his next business trip to Florida......
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Hey, Dan, I use the BLUE bathroom!!!!!!!!!!!