News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German SA08 phone

Started by countryman, September 04, 2021, 01:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

Originally these were ZB08 models (ZB = CB, central battery manual). By end of the 1920ies more lines became automatic and there was a demand for automatic (dial) phones. A number of ZB08 were factory converted into SA08 - Sebstanschluss or automatic. The phones received not only a dial but also a new terminal board. The original large induction coil with a wood core was replaced with a more modern one and the gained space was used to accommodate a capacitor as well. Previously a capacitor subset was required. A new cardboard model plate was attached.
The phone wasn't in the best condition when found. I reported about the nickel and paint repair operations earlier. I was pleased to find the model name printed in the dial card window, that seems original.
I added a handset model ZB06 which should be what was used originally. The transmitter cap must be younger though, it's aluminium, not sure what it is from. Originally a celluloid speaking tube was fitted here. The dial also is from my parts box.
To open the shell it is required to take off the top of the cradle. After loosening a screw at the bottom both the shell and the lower part of the cradle swing open. The shell then must be threaded over the cradle to be fully removed. Interesting concept but an improvement over an earlier model where the entire cradle came off with the shell. It was hard to adjust the hookswitch that way.