News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telco Choice?

Started by HarrySmith, August 03, 2018, 01:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I just stumbled across an old 500 on eBay and a sticker on the bottom caught my eye. Telco Choice. Just dial 10297 + 1 + area code + number. A lot of dialing on a rotary phone! I am guessing this is the newest sticker, must have been after the phone was purchased. Dialing inot a different phone co?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153125322965
( dead link 04-07-22 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

That was for long distance calls.  When AT&T's monopoly on telephone calls was lifted in the 1980s, dozens, if not hundreds of alternative long distance services appeared, and they were given five-digit prefixes which could be dialed before the long distance phone number so that the call would go through their system.  Eventually, the local telcos allowed customers to specify their preferred long distance carrier so that long distance calls would automatically be routed through that carrier without the subscriber having to dial a special prefix.  It has been decades since I dialed one of those prefixes.

Larry

Jim Stettler

They also had prepaid long distance cards. You dial a 800 number then put in the code, then dial the number.
I used to program the 800 number and card codes, and commonly called long distance #'s  into a speaker phone with memory dial.

After the person answered I switched to the cordless phone.

I also used another speaker phone with memory dial to access my bank accounts. I would plug in the phone when I did my banking, and unplug it when I was done.
JMO,
Jim  S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

OK, I seem to vaguely remember something along those lines. If that was the case then wouldn't the sticker have been better on top of the phone so one could see it while dialing? ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"