News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A different kind of Candlestick - a Cracraft-Leich with Watchcase Receiver Cup Hookswitch

Started by TelePlay, August 06, 2016, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Just listed on eBay is this interesting stick. I've never seen that type of receiver "hook" before. Were these common? How were they used? What kind of receiver was used with this stick? What's it worth, maybe an auction contest (maybe not)?

Seems to have been made in Genoa, IL by Gracraft-Leich Electric Co.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusual-Style-CraCraft-Leicht-Electric-Co-Candlestick-Telephone-/282120217311

rdelius

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on August 06, 2016, 09:51:58 PM
put your watchcase rec with headband in the cup

Thanks, that makes sense. I've seen single hooks for those but never a cup. Crossed that off my bucket list.

Dan/Panther

That's the Mother-in-Law model. Doesn't need an ear piece, because she never stops talking.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Pourme

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 07, 2016, 11:14:11 AM
That's the Mother-in-Law model. Doesn't need an ear piece, because she never stops talking.
Dan

Love it.....That hit close to home here! Ha!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jack Ryan

Is this telephone documented anywhere?

Watchcase receivers, like bell receivers, generally hang on the side so that they can be lifted easily. Trying to pick up a receiver that is sitting within what looks like an inverted transmitter cup appears to be a recipe for fumbling and dropping it.

I have only ever seen one candlestick with a shelf instead of a hook and that was for a bell receiver. I don't know if that was original either.

Jack

rdelius

I think that AE and Am Electric also made a similar set.The cup was a trans cup without the side screw holes and no mounting lug.One hole through the cup that went to a hookswitch arm.You picked up the watchase rec by the dangling headband.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on August 07, 2016, 10:11:58 PM
I think that AE and Am Electric also made a similar set.The cup was a trans cup without the side screw holes and no mounting lug.One hole through the cup that went to a hookswitch arm.You picked up the watchase rec by the dangling headband.

I have never seen those documented either. Has anyone?

Jack

Doug Rose

For $50 delivered, I took the plunge. It sure looks cool.....whether its real or not...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I got to work on it a little this morning, Nickel is better than I expected, base as some oxidation in the back so that was a disappointment.

I cleaned everything and just put a light coat of paint on the base to see if it is worth fixing. I think it is. Never seen anything quite like this. I have a Leich stick, but not a Cracraft-Leich so I am happy with it. I think I will just replace the base and keep everything else as is.

I have a watchcase, not a Leich, so that is my next part of this.

Any opinions on what this might have been. nobody seemed to want it. I think I got a steal for $50 delevered....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

With a WE watchcase receiver that was part of a old tech's "wand" to hear tone while locating pairs in IDFs....This sure looks like the cup was to hold a watchcase....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Why all the doubt about this?I have seen them in the past and the parts were not crude..looked factory

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

I asked the TCI list yesterday and did not receive a response, so I guess not much is known about it.  I have been collecting telephones for over 35 years and have never seen anything quite like it.

I am looking for a Leich watch case to complete it...BUT I am not sure if a watch case  receiver is to be used or a regular candlestick handset as it would fit as well.

I sure am lucky it feel through the cracks.....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

It's really interesting and would be great to have a target to shoot for in your restoration efforts, Doug.

I don't remember seeing a similar set (by any maker) in documentation or at shows - or even in listserv discussions or ebay auctions over the last 20 years or so.

You'd think something like this would have shown up somewhere. It may take a while to find it.

Perhaps the ATCA list would be a good info source.

Have you tried Ron Knappen's books?  He captured a lot of unusual ads.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line