News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USB-DVB-T-DAB-FM-RTL-SDR-Realtek-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-Receiver-PAL-IEC-Inp

Started by DavePEI, August 18, 2015, 02:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I've only used Amazon once, and that was to reserve and purchase a copy of Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC, as Amazon had it cheaper than anywhere else at the time, and that was delivered on release day as I had specified in my delivery options, haven't been back to them since as it's not really interested me all that much as most of the time the items for sale are usually the same ones I've found via ebay, even from the same sellers too... ;D

twocvbloke

DavePEI

Huge Migration from North America.

A swarm of flights seen on the ADS-B receiver tonight at 21:55!

Any question we are below the flight path to Europe? In the evening, the majority of flights are coming from Europe, and in the evening heading towards it!

One of the fun things is when we see a jet trail going overhead, I can take a look at the ADS-b and know exactly where the flight is heading, what its flight number is, and when it is due at its destination.

If you click on any of the flights, you can query Flight-Aware or Flight-Stats databases and get the vitals on the flight, where it came from, and where it is going to.

The two flying across the stream are regional flights. The rest are all International.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I guess the skies over PEI are a rat-run for planes then... ;D

Rather coincidentally, as I was typing the above line, I got a message from the seller of the USB doobleydoo;

QuoteDear twocvbloke,
Thanks again for your kind order. Please kindly note the package we shipped is on its normal way to you.May still need sometime before arriving you.

Please wait a while ok? It should arrive you in the coming 1 or 2 weeks.For any problem,please do feel free to contact us.

Yours Sincerely,
ableseller8

Er, have they only just posted the blummin' thing?? Must be one of them sellers who insists on taking too long so that the paypal claims process is timed out when things don't arrive or arrive damaged or faulty, getting quite suspicious now...

19and41

Charles Lindberghs' route to Paris ran relatively near there.  It is a well traveled highway to Europe.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Yes it was, and probably because in the old days of less reliable aircraft pushing the envelope, that route would have provided the shortest over the open water segment of the chosen route.

I suppose, if one had an aircraft that made it mainly over land from NY to PEI, it was safe to assume the aircraft would be able to make it all the way to beaches of France with Paris being the bonus distance. That route even had Ireland and England available should they have developed a mechanical or fuel problem over the open water span, something that would have caused them to end the flight early, and hopefully make it to terra firma.

Many such "bail out of the flight plan over terra firma" points along that famous flight path.

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on September 10, 2015, 08:18:09 PM
I suppose, if one had an aircraft that made it mainly over land from NY to PEI, it was safe to assume the aircraft would be able to make it all the way to beaches of France with Paris being the bonus distance.

Many such "bail out of the flight plan over terra firma" points along that famous flight path.
And they had the further option of bailing out in Newfoundland, as well. Thinking about it this way, it is easier to understand why this has become a major cross-Atlantic route.

All I know, is I was always amazed by the constant jet streams overhead. Which makes it even more interesting to me to be able to determine what flight it is, and where they are heading  :)

At the current time, there are 14 flights showing up, all headed towards Europe.
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

It's been some time since I studied that event so did a quick search to update my memory.

It's about 2,100 miles (3,300 km) from St. John's, Newfoundland to Cork, Ireland. Lindbergh flying about 95 knots spent about 22 hours over open water making 11 hours the no return half way mark over water in the 33 hour total flight.

Total route distance from New York to Paris is about 3,600 miles (5,800 km) so about 1,400 miles (40%) were over or near terra ferma. Even today, those flight "exit" options are most likely high preferable and desirable to airlines for a variety of reasons.

From what one of your prior replies shows, today's aircraft doing about 500 knots at 35,000 ft can make that gap in four and a half hours.

Taken from the Lindbergh flight timeline at http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/timeline.asp , an interesting, short read.

Dave, do you ever see them returning from Europe?

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on September 10, 2015, 09:50:39 PM
Dave, do you ever see them returning from Europe?
Oh, yes - the majority of the flights from Europe (though not the only ones) fly over in the morning and up to 2 pm our time.  The odd one after, but the big rush is in the am hours.

One of the most interesting flights I watched over the years was a direct flight overhead of the Space Shuttle  (if I remember correctly, it was STS-9). At any rate, though little more than a spec in the sky directly overhead, you could literally make out the shape of the shuttle. On that path, I was able to make contact with an astronaut aboard the shuttle on 2 metres, using my handheld 2 mtr. radio, and actually have a confirmation card (QSL card) from that contact. They made many contacts with Hams during those years, and it was truly neat to be able to contact them.

We were able to track it using a Ham Satellite tracking program and the latest set of co-ordinates from ARRL, and we watched it from horizon to horizon. The only time when you could see its shape well was when it was within a few degrees of directly overhead. Needless to say, It was a perfectly clear sunny day. Of course, unlike the jets, it left no jet stream! You had to know where to look for it. When I broke the pile-up to contact him, he was only a couple of degrees from vertical. Linda and I were standing outside my electronics shop at the time, looking up! Even she was impressed when he came back with my call sign!

Thank goodness it was high noon and the it was a clear day. It really stood out with the sun reflecting off it. If I find the QSL card, I could even tell you the name of the Astronaut I contacted! (I have and it was STS-9 and Dr. Owen K. Garriott)

A little more on Owen Garriott from Wikopedia:
QuoteHis second space flight was aboard STS-9 (Spacelab-1) in 1983, a multidisciplinary and international mission of 10 days aboard Space Shuttle Columbia. Over 70 separate experiments in six different disciplines were conducted, primarily to demonstrate the suitability of Spacelab for research in all these areas. He operated the world's first amateur radio station from space, W5LFL, which expanded into an important activity on dozens of shuttle flights, Space Station Mir and the International Space Station, with scores of astronauts and cosmonauts participating.
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

One flew over here and I would have missed it except that it broke the sound barrier.  That was the last double boom I've heard.  It's great to see the value you are getting out of that device.  It's hard to imagine you can get all that for less than the cost of a crystal radio kit.   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: 19and41 on September 10, 2015, 11:12:52 PM
One flew over here and I would have missed it except that it broke the sound barrier.  That was the last double boom I've heard.  It's great to see the value you are getting out of that device.  It's hard to imagine you can get all that for less than the cost of a crystal radio kit.   ;D
If you are speaking about the Shuttle, this was when it was at full orbit altitude. I can only imagine that would have been impressive hearing and seeing it as it was landing!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

It's a shame the shuttles are grounded forever, it's one of the few things I'd have liked to have seen being launched, but, alas no, expanding our minds and knowledge of space is not a priority for governments... :-\

It's like the Concord planes, they got the job done faster, but because of one accident, they grounded them, replacing them with awkwardly slow and oversized mass transit (E.G. A380) is more important than speed today, and ironically, planes today keep having accidents (such as the Boeing 777 that caught fire at Las Vegas recently), but they aren't permanently grounding fleets of those... ::)

Bit of a rant I know, I'm rather bored at the moment... ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 11, 2015, 09:47:15 AM
It's a shame the shuttles are grounded forever, it's one of the few things I'd have liked to have seen being launched, but, alas no, expanding our minds and knowledge of space is not a priority for governments... :-\
I can't possibly disagree! The sad thing, is like Bell Labs, the Space Program resulted in so many advances we enjoy and continue enjoying today.
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Indeed, had the investment in the various technologies continued, then it may have advanced far more than it has done so in the past 30 years, but unfortunately, the bean-counters got involved and messed it all up... :-\

It's sad too, as visions of the future from 30 years ago (E.G. Back to the Future Pt. 2, and as an aside, "future day", Oct. 21st 2015, is looming!) were pretty reasonable for the time, okay flying cars is not necessarily going to be a thing for a long time yet, but the technology envisioned really isn't that far-fetched...

TelePlay

Got the dongle set up last weekend and picked up local FM stations. Put my collinear antenna on tonight, worked my way through the ADSB software set up and watched my first few planes. Picking up planes over 30,000 feet and up to 270 miles away. It's near midnight so not much traffic but what I see is really cooool!   8)

Here are two examples. The second is a flight from Mexico City to Frankfurt, Germany. Looks like a polar route.