News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

its a Gray Area.....

Started by Babybearjs, January 04, 2020, 07:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

OK.... heres todays question.... did WE, SC, and ITT ever off any phone in Olive Gray? (-49)? or were all the gray sets only made in the Light Gray? (-51)???
John

rdelius

I am not sure what olive grey looks like but SC did make 1575 sets in a dark grey and I have seen Kellogg g type handsets in dark grey

poplar1

Western Electric gray telephones:

-5 ("dash 5") -- B1 and D1 handset mountings

-52 Oxford gray             -- 500 series (1953-1957)

-61 Light Gray (1957-1978)

-265 Ultra Light Gray (1990s remanufactured 500s)

-293     Slate Blue             (1990s remanufactured Princess sets )
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

SUnset2

I have a Kellogg 554 in dark gray, but it is a Select-O-Phone version.,

Babybearjs

Interesting! how about in a multi line version?
John

andre_janew

I've never heard of olive gray.  However, I have heard of olive drab.  Perhaps that's the color you're thinking of.

countryman

I never knew grey is spelled GRAY in American English, but that's the way it is  :)

Payphone installer

Kellogg made 500 and 554 in every color that W/E did. I used to have a bunch they are beyond impossible to find. It is possible they made key sets I am sure.

compubit

I thought Light Olive Gray (-49) was used for terminal boxes, connecting blocks, etc. I haven't seen nor heard of any phone devices themselves in those colors....

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Payphone installer on January 05, 2020, 08:00:19 PM
Kellogg made 500 and 554 in every color that W/E did. I used to have a bunch they are beyond impossible to find. It is possible they made key sets I am sure.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/kellogg-book1.html
page 12 shows the colors for Kellogg 500's . They made some colors that WE did not.
I have a clear Kellogg key set, and I have heard of clear Kellogg 500's.
Here is a clear Kellogg key set (not mine). Mine is pretty much the same.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1928.msg164431#msg164431

Jim
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1928.msg164431#msg164431
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

compubit

For the most part, didn't Kellogg's colors map to Western Electric, save turquoise, which was more of a true turquoise (whereas WE's was more of a light turquoise)...

I'll get a pic in the morning.
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

well, I noticed in the WE "Phone Book" that there is no listing for a Lt. Gray in Rotary, but is listed as a 3568THM-61. (Comcode 10255556 and then shows up as a 569NBM-61, Comcode 10243293) Mine is a 564-61 (could have been a 565-61) yet no reference to a lt. Gray in that model.
John