News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Rare" Mahogany Western Electric Model 500

Started by Dennis Markham, December 30, 2008, 11:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

From the same seller of the ivory 354 (Auction #18) is a pretty nice Western Electric Model 500 in Mahogany (brown).  This set has a hair line crack on the back side but otherwise looks nice.  One doesn't often stumble on one of these out in the world of yard sales and flea markets---but it does happen. 

http://tinyurl.com/ayz33t ( dead link 05-13-21 )

Steve

I have seen the early brown phones before. is that a rare color? or is there something else about this one?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan

I've seen them when they reissued them  in the 80's , but this is an early soft plastic model.

I think gray is a rarer color than brown, but that's only based on what i've seen
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Steve

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dennis Markham

The Western Electric Mahogany Brown sets began production in 1954.  The model was discontinued in 1957.  I agree, I think the Oxford Gray sets are more rare than Mahogany.  The Light Gray sets are more plentiful.  In descending order I think the rare sets would be Oxford Gray, Mahogany, maybe Rose Beige, Light Gray and the the other, more common colors.  I'm referring to soft plastic, pre Mid-1959 sets.

McHeath

Quotethe 80's models would be modular, right?

Yes, that begins in the mid 70's but was often retrofit on older phones.  I have a yellow 55' model 500 that was modularized as well as a 59' model 554 that was also converted at some point.  Each of these phones got new to the time handsets and cases, so it kinda ruins the old time look.

Dennis Markham

In my posting above talking about the rarity of the colors, I failed to mention dark blue, or Mediterranean Blue.  That color is probably ranked #3, behind Oxford Gray and Mahogany.  I think white has to rank up there near the top too as I have been unable to obtain a decent soft plastic set in white.  I haven't seen a complete white soft plastic set with matching dates.  And then there's the issue of yellowing from UV light.  I have read somewhere the manufacturing numbers for some of these colors and red, although seemingly common has one of the lower production numbers.  Maybe people hung on to their red sets for some reason.  But red seems to be a pretty common color as far as availability is concerned.

Bill Cahill

OOOOOHHHHHHH..... Nice phone!!!!!
Wish I could afford to bid on it...  ;D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Steve

The one I saw turned out to be an old ITT. that brand isnt the same collector value is it? it was old school hardwired.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

Unfortunately, the value of the ITTs is only a tiny fraction of the 1950s mahogany 500s.  It's all about scarcity, and the brown 1950s 500s are incredibly rare, while the brown ITTs are quite common.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Just under five hours left on this one folks (I should work for QVC).  Of course the Reserve hasn't been met.  Normally I think these brown phones are $300-$400 phones all day, but the crack and the economy may say otherwise.  It may be a good chance to get one for your collection---depending on how high the Reserve price.  With this seller, I'd guess it's in the $300 range.

Dennis Markham

bingster

You think that's a bit low, Dennis?  It seems like another bargain to me.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I would think that was low if it wasn't cracked.  But that crack ought to lessen the value somewhat.  In "uncracked" condition I would expect $350-$400.  But even with the crack it's still a Mahogany Western Electric 500 that would look in anyone's collection.  I thought the seller's Reserve would be around $300.  I don't know what it was but $292 was pretty close to that.

Dan

Did any of you guys get this Mahogany Brown one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-BROWN-BELL-SYSTEM-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-DESK-TELEPHONE_W0QQitemZ280298854076QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCorded_Phones?hash=item280298854076&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I liked the price until the bidding frenzy @ the end. I wonder if it's genuine since it's a 1958 and all the sites say it was discontinued in 1957. It looks like it has the suede felt feet but do you think it is genuine?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright