News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What to put in a Heller tacker?

Started by bingster, September 21, 2008, 01:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I've just got a Bell System model "E" Heller tacker, which was the staple gun used by installers once upon a time to tack station wire to baseboards and whatnot.  Since Heller is no longer around, does anybody know what kind of staples can be used in it?  Arrow makes similar staple guns (though they're not nearly the same quality) and rounded crown staples to go in them, but has anybody tried them in a Heller?  This could be a really handy item if I can find the proper staples.

= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

I haven't a clue, but I'd sure like to see a photo of a Model E Heller tacker!

bingster

Here are a couple photos.  The cool thing about it is it's really narrow chamfer along the bottom to get the tool into tight corners, which allowed the installer to staple the wire in unobtrusive places such as in the corner where door casings meet walls, and in the little grooves in baseboard upper moldings.  If you've got an older house, look for the station wire along the baseboards and you'll see the tiny, rounded crown staples that were used to hold the wire in place.

= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I do remember those staples.  However I have no idea where one may get some now.

Bill Cahill

Looks like a basic heavy duty stapler to me...
Seems the staples for heavy duty staple guns should work.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
I've done an extensive saeach on ebay, and Google. I've found nothing on staples for that gun. There is one up on ebay right now, he says it works, maybe he knows where to get them.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Well, I could be wrong, but, I still say it looks like it uses standard heavy duty staples. May I see a closeup of where staples come out?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bingster
Is it possible that the bevel, shapes a standrad t-50 staple as it comes out ?
The upper part of the gun looks standard.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Here's a photo of the area where the staples come out, and a pic of the staples, themselves:

The staples are rather tiny.  They measure 3/16 wide and 3/8 tall, and have a rounded crown.  Arrow makes rounded crown staples for their own staplers of this type, but I've read on the internet that may not quite fit Heller equipment.  I think I'm going to have to take it to the hardware store, and actually try out some staples in it (without getting caught ;D ).
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

Quote from: bingster on October 07, 2008, 04:11:37 PM
I think I'm going to have to take it to the hardware store, and actually try out some staples in it (without getting caught ;D ).

One reason why I support my local "mom and pop" hardware store whenever possible-if I were to take something like that in there, they would gladly try fitting staples into themselves.

I've had them spend 10 minutes helping locate a particular screw I needed, which ended up only costing $.07 when they found it-that's service, in my book, and certainly wouldn't happen at Lowes or Home Depot.

Stores like this are a dying breed-support them whenever you can. I can't count how many times they've saved my but when I carried in a particular telephone, Lionel train, or other widget and they had exactly the bit of hardware I've needed for next to nothing.

Bill

Yes, Ben! I've had the same experience. I went into the local the other day, showed then a broken machine screw, asked if they could match it. After a few questions, and a few minutes searching on the gadget wall, they came up with a close equivalent and charged me 10 cents!

I love those few local hardware stores that are left!

Bill

GG

T-18 staples. 

There were two sizes of rounded staples we used back in the day:  T-18 for installing "JK station wire" ("quad"), and T-25 for installing 4-pair cable.   There was a separate gun for each size; I still have a T-25 in my kit even though I don't do station wiring any more (it's useful for tacking down zip-ties for cable bundles on PBX installations where there's not enough room for D-rings). 

You can probably find T-18 staples at any well-stocked oldschool hardware store, and certainly via electrical goods stores or alarm supply stores.  Alarm installers probably still use T-18 since they still use quad station wire. 

You do not want to use the T-18 stapler for installing modern 4-pair telephone wiring, because it is too small, and staples will go through the wires.  For 4-pair you need T-25, which fits properly over the wire. 

--

Landlines forever! 

AE_Collector

Yes they look like T18's to me rather than T25's. Alarm suppliers still have both sizes available here. I don't know for sure that they will work in a Heller Stapler though.

Terry

Jim Stettler

I agree that T18 is the most likly fit. You should be able to get them at a Home depot or lowes.

T18 is a tight staple and is easy to hit  a wire.

If you are wanting to run cable I prefer a T25 w/ small staples.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

There are 2 models of Heller guns. One will work with T-18 staples. The other one uses smaller staples. Both of these are rather small for modern station wire. Years ago I called Heller-Roberts and staples were available but you had to purchase a large quanity. I found some at a telephone show.