News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reproduction WECO Number Card Retainer Rings

Started by Fabius, May 22, 2016, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I am wondering if it is worthwhile to investigate the possibility of having WECO dial number card retainer rings reproduced? Must likely in China or other Asian country. A web search finds many metal fabricating companies in China. I would suspect a smaller company might be willing to do several hundred. An original ring would be sent for measurement with a dial finger wheel. No big loss if it disappears. Any company that says they would do the work could be checked out with the Chinese consulate to see if they were legit.

The big question is could the rings made in metal or plastic be done at a price significantly cheaper then the selling price of original rings sold by places like phoneco and oldphoneworks ($9 -$10)?

The main purpose would be to ensure a supply of these rings and not to make a profit. Thoughts?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

Initially at least, only the black rings would be needed. There are lots of the inside parts available from bent metal card holders and broken plastic ones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on May 22, 2016, 01:15:02 PM
I am wondering if it is worthwhile to investigate the possibility of having WECO dial number card retainer rings reproduced? Must likely in China or other Asian country. A web search finds many metal fabricating companies in China. I would suspect a smaller company might be willing to do several hundred. An original ring would be sent for measurement with a dial finger wheel. No big loss if it disappears. Any company that says they would do the work could be check out with the Chinese consulate to see if they were legit.

The big question is could the rings made in metal or plastic be done at a price significantly cheaper then the selling price of original rings sold by places like phoneco and oldphoneworks ($9 -$10)?

The main purpose would be to ensure a supply of these rings and not to make a profit. Thoughts?

I believe I bought a dozen of them for ~$10 from OPW at one time. Haven't checked the site lately though.  They weren't painted, but a brass tone, and can be painted or plated.

unbeldi

Here is what they look like, still have a bunch of them.