News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE candlestick not working.

Started by Greg G., December 28, 2010, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I'm trying to help a neighbor out with his WE candlestick.  It was working fine, but he decided to hook it up to a different ringer box with a longer cord.  The other ringer box is a 684A that had a 202 hooked up to it, and it worked also.  He said he drew a diagram of the wires, but apparently something isn't right, because it's not working now.  He unhooked the wires from the phone end.  I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm going over there on Tuesday afternoon.  I tried looking in the TCI library, but it's all greek to me. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The trouble is, he could have mis-wired at either end if he put another desk set cord on the candlestick.

The stock way of wiring a candlestick to the subset is as follows:

Black wire to B in the subset
Red wire to R in the subset
Yellow wire to L2/Y in the subset
Green wire to GN in the subset

There should be similar terminals inside the candlestick for the black, red, yellow, and green wires to connect.  If the phone is wired for sidetone, there will only be three wires, and the black wire will be missing, and will not need to be connected.

If you can't get it to work, by all means post photos.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Thanks Bill, I'm heading over there in a little while, armed with my camera and now your basic wiring instructions.  From what he told me, he only disconnected the line cord from the phones, not the from the subset.  The guy did say his eyesight isn't the greatest, although he said he drew a diagram, so could be something simple like a misplaced wire.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Ok, we got the darn thing to work, but it makes a loud clicking noise in the receiver when the dial returns.  I tried searching here but can't really find anything specific to his phone, a WE candlestick with a 4h dial.  I'm logged in from his computer, hopefully I can get an answer before I leave.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

That might be indicative of a slight mis-wiring.  What model of candlestick is it.  There were about three different ones that used different wiring harnesses.  If it is the 151 AL, that would be the best.

The model of the candlestick on a WE is found on the back of the perch.  Also, if you can take a photo of the wiring in the base.

A 150 series would have 4 wires in the cord coming out of the base of the candlestick to the subset.  A 50 series would have three.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

If there is a loud clicking in the receiver while dialing, it is because the receiver connection is bypassing the dial.  The #2-5 dials disconnect the receiver when the dial is turning.  On 302s, the white wire to the receiver is normally connected to a contact on the dial.

Larry

Greg G.

Can't tell what the model # is.  Here's a couple of pics.  We swapped out the subset that had the longer cord that he wanted.  The color codes on the new line cord were different, but we hooked white to Y on the phone, black to R, Red to BK.  Plain brown we left off.  It fully functions, dials out and receives calls, audio is good, but the receiver has a loud, obnoxious clicking noise as the dial returns.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I'm not the greatest deskstand expert, but I do know the white receiver conductor should connect to "W" on the dial (it's currently empty), and the green conductor from the receiver goes to "GN" on the little terminal board.
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: bingster on December 29, 2010, 03:04:49 AM
I'm not the greatest deskstand expert, but I do know the white receiver conductor should connect to "W" on the dial (it's currently empty), and the green conductor from the receiver goes to "GN" on the little terminal board.

That would likely do it.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on December 29, 2010, 03:04:49 AM

Which one is green?  The only thing he did was try to swap out the line cord.  The line cord he's trying to use has white, red, black, and plain brown.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

He was talking about the green and white wires from the receiver cord.

On the line cord, your friend must be using a non-standard line cord, but that's ok, the electrons don't care which color is on the fabric, but we do when we are trying to keep track of what is connected where.  I When I am faced with non-standard colors, I try to get as close as I can, but it boils down to what you can keep track of yourself, or put on a piece of paper and put it inside the phone or the subset for future reference.

For the line cord, I might suggest the following.  The first column is the standard color that would be on the schematic and the list I posted the other day, and the second column is the color of the cordage you have.

Red, use Red
Yellow, use White
Green, use plain Brown
Black, use Black

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 29, 2010, 06:17:28 PM
He was talking about the green and white wires from the receiver cord.

On the line cord, your friend must be using a non-standard line cord, but that's ok, the electrons don't care which color is on the fabric, but we do when we are trying to keep track of what is connected where.  I When I am faced with non-standard colors, I try to get as close as I can, but it boils down to what you can keep track of yourself, or put on a piece of paper and put it inside the phone or the subset for future reference.

For the line cord, I might suggest the following.  The first column is the standard color that would be on the schematic and the list I posted the other day, and the second column is the color of the cordage you have.

Red, use Red
Yellow, use White
Green, use plain Brown
Black, use Black

Thanks Bill.  I think it will take another trip over there, he doesn't get online much, but that's ok, he's not far and I don't like leaving things half-arsed, even though he was happy that it had basic function.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

You might want to print out the 151AL diagram before you go.   That way you can check the rest of the wiring just to be sure everything's squared away the way it should be.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2134&Itemid=27
= DARRIN =