"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial not aligned correctly

Started by viper, January 08, 2011, 07:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper

Hi all, happy new year first of all!

I've just finished fully restoring my Bakelite 332 and all is working great. One thing that's slightly irritating me is that the silver dial plate is ever so slightly out of line with the alphanumerical back plate. The finger holes are just not over the numbers. It's a type 12 dial.

Anyone have any ideas on how / if it can be adjusted? It's not a major problem, mechanically it's fine but aesthetically, it's setting off my OCD lol.

LarryInMichigan

viper,

Is your face plate in the correct position?  Do the screws holding the finger stop extend through the holes in the face plate?  Can you tunr your finger wheel counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) to make the holes slign with the numbers?  Is it possible that the dial is just not returning fully to its normal position?  I have four phones with GPO dials, and I have found them to be one of the most complicated designs and most difficult to make work properly.

Larry

gpo706

Some fingerwheels have a little bit of play in them so you can line up and then screw firm through the fixing screw, although the ones with lugs should sit perfectly you would think...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"