News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord baking temperature

Started by guitar1580, January 20, 2011, 01:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

I read the thread on baking / freezing the coiled cords, and am thinking of trying my first one on an old hardened 500 cord ... even though the rest of the world would think we're all crazy for even talking about this.

I guess 3/8" is the best dowel size to use?  Is there any concensus on best temperature / time in the oven?  Should I add lemon pepper or sea salt?  haha, thx,

Josh P

Dennis Markham

Josh, according to a document that was prepared by ATCA member Richard Gerber (attached link) the proper baking temperature is 105 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes.  There may be other opinions out there.  Several members experimented with this and early on I think we were using temperatures that were too high.  I know I was.

This article is interesting and informative and worth a look.  It may or may not be the final word on the subject.  Mileage may vary.  The article was geared for Trimline cords and talks about protecting the plug from melting but does say that any coiled vinyl cord can be baked in the prescribed manner.  For what it's worth.............

http://atcaonline.com/trimlinecord.html

LarryInMichigan

I have had very good results by simply wrapping coiled cords around a hanger, letting them sit atop my oil filled electric space heater for 20-30 mins and then putting them (with the hanger) into the freezer out outside (when the weather is really cold).  I would rather underdo it and have to redo the process than overdo it and roast or melt a cord.

Larry