News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Seeking Info On A Few Small Tools

Started by rp2813, February 25, 2012, 12:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

In the attached picture, there are some small tools that came out of a +/- 1970 Bell System installer's tool box.  I've always wondered what their functions were.   Starting from the top, the largest item is marked "DRACON D714" as is confirmed on the replacement blade package below it.  It measures 6" including the blade tip.

The small beige square item to the right of the replacement blade has the word "PANDUIT" in tiny raised letters near the bottom of one of the four sections.  Not a tool, but something used for station wiring, I presume.  It appears to have a removable layer that exposes a self-adhesive backing.  The box contains many of these.

The small yellow screwdriver-looking item has a retractable sleeve that reveals an open-ended inner rod that has been cut in a way that leaves three curved sections with sharp tips.  In case the picture doesn't display clearly, the part number is KS-20827 L1.  On the opposite side of the handle are the words "BELL SYSTEM" in black like the part number.

Additionally, if the picture doesn't render the part number clearly, the long thin white rod with the small fork on the end is numbered 724A.  It seems to be made of a porcelain-like material and is heavy for its size.

I'm very interested in knowing how these items are (were) used.

Thanks for any information you can share.
Ralph

Adam

From top to bottom, left to right:

That is a "punch-down tool".  It is used to connect wires to a 66-type block, shown below.  The blade can be turned around so that one way it just seats the wire, and the other way it seats it and trims it off.

Next is a replacement blade and its attachment screw for the above tool.

To the blade's right is a little thing you use to tie-wrap a cable (or bundle of cables) to a flat surface.  You stick the thing on the wall (or screw it to the wall) and then the tie-wrap goes through the slots. You place the cable(s) above that, tighten the tie-wrap around them, and, voila, cables tie-wrapped to the wall.

It's hard to tell from the pic but I think the next tool is a "wire wrap" tool, used to connect wires to wire wrap terminals as shown in the second pic below.  You seat a stripped wire end into the tool, then push the tool over the wire wrap terminal and twist the tool, thereby nicely wrapping the wire around the terminal.

I believe the final tool is used to remove wires from a 66 block, but I'm not sure about that one.

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Hi Adam:

Correct on all counts except the KS-20824 - it is a wire unwrap tool... Darn close, though!

724A is a wire extraction tool to remove wire from quick connect clips and 66 and 110 blocks as you thought. You will find it listed along with the unwrap tool on http://www.jonard.com/jonard-ecommerce/downloads/CatalogJonardOKWeb.pdf#page=40

I do it the good old fashioned way - pull the wire out by its roots :-X Don't have one of 'em!

You are good!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I didn't know that there was an extraction tool for wires on 66 blocks. I use Dave's method and thought everyone did.

Learn something new every day!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on February 25, 2012, 02:07:31 AM
I didn't know that there was an extraction tool for wires on 66 blocks. I use Dave's method and thought everyone did.
Terry

Looks as though it just rakes the wire out of the terminal which would probably lessen the chance of spreading the fork end of the terminal and winding up with problems of poor contact with subsequent connections to it. As we figured long ago, there was a tool made for every job!

Still, a pair of needle-nose pliers and ripping them out by their roots works  :'(

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The Krone tools that BT engineers use (or used, the last BT guy that came here used a tool like a modern version of the top tool in that picture) have a built-in hook for pulling out wires from IDC terminals, aswell as a flat blade which can be used for unscrewing small screws (go too big and they tend to snap), and of course they have little scissors on the tip to trim the inserted wires (you can insert wires without snipping just by not pressing as hard)... :)

rp2813

Thanks to all for the information. 

I forgot to include one item in the original photo.  It's an odd piece and I can't make out all of the lettering on it, but the part number appears to be 542F, with what looks like a date of 8-73.  The rest of the info seems to have to do with ohms and values.
Ralph

DavePEI

Quote from: rp2813 on February 25, 2012, 06:44:18 PM
Thanks to all for the information.  

I forgot to include one item in the original photo.  It's an odd piece and I can't make out all of the lettering on it, but the part number appears to be 542F, with what looks like a date of 8-73.  The rest of the info seems to have to do with ohms and values.

Ok, I blew it up a bit to have a look at the yellow portion. It is a 2 uf capacitor, I believe. The cords are made from wiper leads for a switch with clips added. It appears to be a home made piece, and not a mass manufactured tool, and appears to have been a home made tool made to shunt the 2 uf across contacts on a test basis?

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

rp2813

Thanks Dave.  So the 542F capacitor is a stand-alone WE part, sans wiper leads and clips?  Can you provide an application example for this capacitor?
Ralph

AE_Collector

Quote from: rp2813 on February 25, 2012, 09:01:13 PM
Can you provide an application example for this capacitor?

Probably nearly impossible to say. That it uses SxS wiper cords there is a fairly good chance it was used for something in a SxS CO but as Dave pointed out, it has been made up by someone for some specific purpose as opposed to being a mass produced "tool"

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: rp2813 on February 25, 2012, 09:01:13 PM
Thanks Dave.  So the 542F capacitor is a stand-alone WE part, sans wiper leads and clips?  Can you provide an application example for this capacitor?
Pretty near impossible to say what is was made up for. Perhaps to experiment with suppression of sparks on a contact - maybe someone will have a suggestion as what it would have been made for, but I am at a loss to suggest iits purpose

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mikep

That "KS" tools is an unwrapping tool, used when you wrapped a wire on the wrong terminal!