News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Avocado" WECO 500

Started by liteamorn, January 05, 2012, 12:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

I had my eye on this "Avocado" 500 on ebay, my funds are a little limited now after the holidays so I only bid what I could on it. The phone sure looks like Oxford Grey to me.

I hope someone here got it and would be willing to clue us in if it is :)
http://tinyurl.com/6vbswgs

I know we don't like links to ebay due to the short life spans so I will delete it in short order.

Dennis Markham

Although the color does look like it could be a Dark Gray in disguise, I think it's Green.  Note where the handset cord exits the handset (or enters it).....it has the tapered end rather than a short, stubby end.  Those tapers cords were much later.  I doubt there was ever one made like that in Dark Gray.

jsowers

Also the 505A four-prong plug is a clue. They didn't make those until the 1960s and it's the same color as the rest of the cord and phone.

Did anyone see the line about the phone coming from an estate sale and the owner changed phones every two years? I think they had this longer than two years. More like thirty years. It's nice, but it went a little high, so I don't blame you for not getting it. You can find them cheaper and there were loads of moss green 500s made.
Jonathan

liteamorn

Ah, Learn something new every day :) . After reading about handset cords I checked my collection of 500's and saw exactly what you were talking about. When I saw the color and the feet combined with the soft center dial I thought that maybe it could have been an error by the lister. Silly me, Mr. Helpfull probably would have clued him (or her)in it it was grey :)

I always go a buck or two over my "max" so I don't kick myself for not bidding enough. I was prepared to pay a little high for a green phone hoping to maybe get a great deal on a greay one.

Jonathan, I did see the "phone exchange every 2 years", I got a chuckle out of that.

GG

There's a particular Western Electric green color, early 1960s, that really does look more than a little like gray in the right lighting.  Some variants of WE green also look like they were trying for a color that would go well on Army bases, this during a period when many new bases were being built (the Navy and Air Force could both use dark blue:-)

Greg G.

Plus the fact that digital cameras and lighting can play tricks.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e