News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WANTED -- Newly made candlestick wiring harnesses

Started by cloyd, April 23, 2016, 04:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Do any of you have a supply of the right kind of cloth-covered wire to make candlestick wiring harnesses?  I could terminate the ends if you sold and sent me the right length of conductor to make a 5-conductor harness.  I would think this would be something a person could make a little money on.  Anyone interested?

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

poplar1

Old Phone Works sells 5-conductor "bulk cordage" by the foot, both with vinyl conductors and cloth conductors. $2/ft. with 25 ft. minimum (vinyl conductors)

The 5-conductor harnesses are typically found in the 151-AL model. Ironically, Western Electric usually did not make new 5-conductor harnesses for these phones. Rather, they used the old 3-conductor D3B harnesses found in 51-ALs, and just added the additional blue and yellow conductors by wrapping them around the existing 3-conductor cord.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on April 23, 2016, 04:43:04 PM
Old Phone Works sells 5-conductor "bulk cordage" by the foot, both with vinyl conductors and cloth conductors. $2/ft. with 25 ft. minimum (vinyl conductors)

The 5-conductor harnesses are typically found in the 151-AL model. Ironically, Western Electric usually did not make new 5-conductor harnesses for these phones. Rather, they used the old 3-conductor D3B harnesses found in 51-ALs, and just added the additional blue and yellow conductors by wrapping them around the existing 3-conductor cord.

I think they may have discontinued the D5B cord by the mid-30s.
They still had them in 1933

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on April 23, 2016, 05:27:24 PM
I think they may have discontinued the D5B cord by the mid-30s.
They still had them in 1933

The #D5B Switch Cord was originally used on Sidetone #51-C and #51-CN desk stands. They rarely turn up in 151-ALs.

#595-B (4-conductor)              "Dial Cord"                       #50-ALs and  #50-Type Coin Collectors       AT&T Spec. 4566 2/26
D3B       (3-conductor)              "Switch Cord"                  #51-AL                                                                           4566 
D5B       (5-conductor)              "Switch Cord"                  #51-C    and #51-CN                                                      4566
[modified D3B or ?] (5-cond)     "Switch cord"                  #151-AL and #152-AB                                 BSP Section C32.461, i1, 9-10-32

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on April 23, 2016, 07:15:26 PM
The #D5B Switch Cord was originally used on Sidetone #51-C and #51-CN desk stands. They rarely turn up in 151-ALs.

#595-B (4-conductor)              "Dial Cord"                       #50-ALs and  #50-Type Coin Collectors       AT&T Spec. 4566 2/26
D3B       (3-conductor)              "Switch Cord"                  #51-AL                                                                           4566 
D5B       (5-conductor)              "Switch Cord"                  #51-C    and #51-CN                                                      4566
[modified D3B or ?] (5-cond)     "Switch cord"                  #151-AL and #152-AB                                 BSP Section C32.461, i1, 9-10-32

Sure, especially if they weren't made anymore, but naturally they would never be listed like for the 51-C, as no 151AL would be in a catalog.
It seems the D5B is gone from the 1935 catalog, of course 51-Cs weren't made any more either.

poplar1

My original point is that rather than use new "harnesses",  WE chose to modify existing D3Bs, by adding two conductors, rather than  install new D5- cords.

The 151-ALs were conversions done in the WE repair shops, on telco-owned desk stands. Whether there was a flat price for the conversion, or a different charge depending on the parts needed, I don't know.

In 1935, the following are listed in Catalog No. 9 (page 59):

D5L    9"  "Intended for use with 151AL Deskstand"
D7E   9"                                        151C

So, even though new 151-type desk stands were not in the catalog, because they were a product of the service centers, and not the factory; still, some parts were available for them in the WE/Graybar Catalog.