News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray cords: Straight vs. coiled

Started by benhutcherson, December 11, 2009, 01:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have a lot of black phones that can make good donors. Thanks for the offer anyway. Your grey cord  alone should bring  good money.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

Dan,
That was a one shot deal to a forum buddy in need.  I have since given Dennis next chance at it, but only because you seem more interested in finding a straight cord.  If I find one of those, I'll let you know.  That's going to look great when you get everything together--remember to post some pics.!
Stephen
Stephen

Dan

You are the man sir! Thanks for the kind gesture.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

I just posted BSP C30.011 iss. 6 December 1953 Colored station sets
and C30.011 Appendix 1 iss. D 4-29-55-S Colored Station Sets Plant Administration

This is posted in Collectors corner Soft 500 info.

The scans aren't the greatest but you should be able to print them for a handy reference.
I would also recommend getting a copy of Russ's Booklet while it is still available.
It is being offered on the classified list.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jester

These are very informative documents, Jim.  Thank you for posting them.  I noticed two different areas in the 12/53 document that descibed the two-tone sets.  The first is under section 3.03(b):
"Sets in the Two-tone group have std. black handsets, dials or blanks, with housings only in gray, red, yellow or blue."
Then, in Table 2b:
Two-Tone Group
Dash Numbers
50A  Ivory
51A  Green
52A  Gray
53A  Red
According to the above statements, there were 6 different colors offered in two-tone, but not all at the same time.  Did I read that right?
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jester on January 12, 2010, 01:13:05 AM
These are very informative documents, Jim.  Thank you for posting them.  I noticed two different areas in the 12/53 document that descibed the two-tone sets.  The first is under section 3.03(b):
"Sets in the Two-tone group have std. black handsets, dials or blanks, with housings only in gray, red, yellow or blue."
Then, in Table 2b:
Two-Tone Group
Dash Numbers
50A  Ivory
51A  Green
52A  Gray
53A  Red
According to the above statements, there were 6 different colors offered in two-tone, but not all at the same time.  Did I read that right?

Yes you did. I never noticed that. I verified that I copied things right from the BSP.

I then referenced Russ's book. the first 4 colors were the ones issued w/ black dials. Apparently, the black dial sets were avaliable as standard 2-tone.
The second 4 are the ones offered as special order 2-tone.

I suspect bell would rather put a black handset vs a colored handset on the first 4.  Those were just a handset swap. I think these were avlaiable due to technical logistis. The second 4 are probaly popular design combo's and were more from marketing.
On page 3 of the appendix 1955 4.03 it states that those sets aren't factory stock and to order the housing and a black phone and return the black housing.

The truth of the matter is: If you tried hard enough you could get any of the sets in 2-tone. J
There are a few copies of Russ's book avaliable on the classified list.
It is a good companion to these BSP's.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

Well, the thrift store gods smiled down on me.Let me explain.

My two tone grey with the ivory( Why ???) amplified G-6 handset needed a few things to get it back to original.

I know it was a two tone because a note on the back  of the set said it had the dial replaced and the handset replaced in 1963.It was all 1956 original otherwise.  I had an original  spare straight cord G-1 from '55. I wanted an older correct  7D-3 dial . 1956 would be ideal. I picked this up @ the thrift store for $2.

Opened this up, and unbelievable as it may seem, it had a 1956 D-3 dial (with 1963 network and generic plastics).
Put them all together...

Jester (stephen) I think I have found your grey two-tone younger brother!

Jester

It looks like it to me, Dan.  Nice job!!  Are you going to keep yours for 25 years?
Stephen

Dan

I think so. It's my first two tone. I want to get all the 500's and make a pretty glass case for them when I'm done.

Did anyone on the forum get these beauties? Money is a little tight for me or I may have jumped on these, but I believe these were a great deal. I know this should be posted in the auction link, but I wanted to keep it in the two-tone section.

http://tinyurl.com/yjpa7ea

http://tinyurl.com/ygz8myk

Jester

I confess, Dan.  Dennis figured it out & sent me an email last night.  The seller is Mark Scola.
Stephen

jsowers

Quote from: Dan on January 15, 2010, 12:36:05 PM
I think so. It's my first two tone. I want to get all the 500's and make a pretty glass case for them when I'm done.

Did anyone on the forum get these beauties? Money is a little tight for me or I may have jumped on these, but I believe these were a great deal. I know this should be posted in the auction link, but I wanted to keep it in the two-tone section.

Dan, your two-tone looks great and you started with the hardest color to find, so the rest may be downhill from there. Good luck in your search! I'm still looking for one in dark gray.

Those two auction two-tones are definitely from Mark Scola. I wonder why he didn't just put them on a regular auction? He may have his reasons. Maybe Dennis knows? This time of year we could all use a cash infusion! Congratulations to the winner. They look like nice phones. I know they didn't call them names, but I want to call that yellow and black one the bumblebee model.
Jonathan

Dan

Thanks. Stephen, do you have all the two tone varieties yet?

Thanks for the info about gray being the hardest to find Jonathan. Hopefully the others will come easier.

Jester

This will make three true two-tones for me, plus the red w/black dial pictured earlier & a dark biege that I put a black dial on until I find a replacement in the right color.  I am still looking for red, green & blue two-tones & gray, yellow & blue in the black dial color sets.  Then there's the full color gray set I'd like to find.

Jonathan,
I was thinking "bumble bee" when I was looking at the auction.  I also thought of the perfect car to go with--the Dodge Super Bee!!  It'd have to be a 1969--I think that year is the best looking.
Stephen

McHeath

I cobbled together a red two tone using a shell I bought at the San Jose phone show for a buck.  Would like to have a genuine article, but am investing phone money into this and that, and probably not all that wisely to be honest. :)

jsowers

Quote from: Jester on January 15, 2010, 11:06:46 PM
Jonathan,
I was thinking "bumble bee" when I was looking at the auction.  I also thought of the perfect car to go with--the Dodge Super Bee!!  It'd have to be a 1969--I think that year is the best looking.

The "bumblebee" car I think of is a 1955 Mercury Montclair in yellow and black, with the black contrasting band under the window area on the doors, or a 1955 Ford Sunliner in yellow and black, with yellow and black seats. I was into old cars when they weren't old. In the 1960s as a kid I liked the cars of the 1950s and tore out many car ads from Life Magazines. Yellow and black was a two-tone trend in the 1950s, and I think it's interesting that the two-tone trend in cars just about parallels the two-tone trend in phones. 1954-57. Both kind of fizzled out after 1957. Though cars would have different color tops for a long time after, the wild two-toning was only for a short time.

Here are two links to show the two cars...

http://www.themiamigarage.com/detail-1955-mercury-montclair-sun_valley-3425348.html
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/ford5503.htm
Jonathan