News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this the correct receiver for this Stromberg wall phone?

Started by mblythe, October 10, 2016, 10:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mblythe

Hi, I recently got this Stromberg Carlson wood wall telephone. Both the mouthpiece and receiver are marked Stromberg Carlson, but somebody has told me the receiver is wrong for this phone. It's actually wired up inside, so it wasn't just knotted and hung to look good. He claimed the receiver was older than the phone, and came from an 1800s candlestick.

Would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Photos attached.

Thanks!
-- Mark

poplar1

Mark, it is the same receiver shown on an early Stromberg-Carlson brochure, "How the telephone helps the farmer."
Stromberg-Carlson didn't start making phones until 1894. That's the year Bell's original patents expired.

http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/StrombergCarlson/StrombergCarlson.htm
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

As I was about to say, that receiver was in use in 1905, the year of this 10x Type.

But then a security check blocked my post - again.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on October 10, 2016, 11:01:41 PM
Mark, it is the same receiver shown on an early Stromberg-Carlson brochure, "How the telephone helps the farmer."
Stromberg-Carlson didn't start making phones until 1894. That's the year Bell's original patents expired.

http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/StrombergCarlson/StrombergCarlson.htm

Ah, that's my brochure. I also have a catalogue (Bulletin No 19) that is on Kellogg Mike's site - if that is currently operating. It shows this and similar phones as well.

Jack

mblythe

Thanks, Jack. Appreciate the confirmation.

By the way, what do these numbers along the bottom edge of the case mean? Is one a style/model and the other a serial?

Jack Ryan

I don't know the answer to that.

The model numbers in Bulletin 19 are 62 to 113. There is also a four digit number next to each image but I suspect that refers to the image itself.

If they are not SC numbers, they might be asset numbers used by the operating company.

Regards
Jack