News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modern Cell Phones can ruin surprises...

Started by compubit, February 04, 2018, 12:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Last night, I was at a dinner for a friend's birthday (her husband is my co-worker, and we've all known each other for years...), and their oldest daughter's boyfriend popped the question.  (We all knew it was coming, but was supposed to be a surprise for her).

Anyway, the boyfriend and my friend went ring shopping last week, and both had their cell phones with them.  The entire family uses the "Find my Friends" app to keep track of one-another.  Needless to say, the boyfriend left his cell phone on, as did her mom - and she noticed both meeting up around the shopping mall and one of the stores outside the mall (which happens to be Jared Jewelry).  She starts texting him, and he doesn't reply.  Nor does her mom.  So she starts texting messages like:  I know where you are!  I know what you're doing!

So last night wasn't a complete surprise, like it was supposed to be, but she didn't know when (she wasn't expecting it at her mom's birthday party...).

Moral of the story:  If you're going somewhere you don't want someone to know where you are - turn off the cell phone, or better yet, leave it at work.  If he had just left it at work, she probably wouldn't have thought much about Mom going to the mall...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AL_as_needed

That's why I do all my major business dealings at my desk....I know my 302 or 500 wont rat  me out!  ;D

All these advancements are great and helpful when they are needed for their intended purpose, but you have to also wonder who else it watching and why sometimes.
TWinbrook7

Vacuumlad1650

Thankfully we are all too technologically illiterate to use such methods...I don't consistently respond to telephone calls or text messages immediately. I work heavy machinery at inconsistent hours, so odds are I did not hear the phone. Or at least that is often the excuse......
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018