"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 Quasimodo-Phone

Started by Sargeguy, November 23, 2008, 09:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

...as in ugly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390009358334&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
( dead link 05-13-21 )

I put a bid of $40 with 1 hour to go on this"well-loved" 202 from 1937.  I don't really need another 202, but I figured the 4H dial was worth the price and I could always use an original dial card assembly.  Besides, it looks like a train wreck and I wanted to see it up close.  I didn't expect it to stick, but I guess I wanted it $.01 more than a***r.   

The seller says that it works, kinda, which is pretty good for a 202 with no sub-set I guess.  I have a spare 685A sub-set.  Maybe if I get another 202 as a parts phone...   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Looks to me like a pretty decent deal, you scored a #4 dial and can use it for parts if need be. 

Sargeguy

It looks pretty chewed up, like they mistook the hookswitch as an anvil.  There is more paint on the handset than the metal parts.  There aren't a lot of parts on a 202, so I think the dial assembly is about it, but like you said, I still got a deal.  The dial plate looks like it will clean up nicely.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

The photo of the dial is a bit blurry, and it does look like it says "4 H."  But the "W" terminal is below the switchstack which marks the dial as a No. 5.  It's possible this is some sort of stop-gap dial made up of a 4 case and a 5 switchstack, but be prepared for a No. 5 dial.

On the bright side, it appears to already be wired correctly. ;)
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I'm not too worried.  The other 4H dial I have the W connector positioned the the same way, but the front is much different than a 5H (I don't have another 4H to compare)  Mine had been reconditioned and put back into service in 1947.  This must have been a modification they did during repair or reconditioning. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I have just found Quasimodo's match:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200278001222

They are both from 1937 so the dates will match.  With any luck I should be able to come out with one sweet 202 and one complete disaster.  The extra dial card holder is always a plus.  Does anyone have any tips on how to repair cracked Bakelite handsets with readily available over-the-counter materials?

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Just be aware that this one has an Automatic Electric handset, rather than a WE.  I'd think that superglue would work wonders for the crack.  The trick would be clamping it.  Not sure what would work for holding it tight while the glue sets.

And what's up with II-37?  It seems most of the D1 bases I've seen have that date inside.  Both mine do, too.  They must have had an enormous production run that spring for some reason.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Rats! An A.E. hand-set!   :P  I did not pick up on that in my frenzied last minute bidding.  This phone just went from "just barely worth the money because I need the parts" to "Doh!"  I will have to check the E1 on my 202 Frankenphone, maybe its from late 37.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The E1 handset has an f1 transmitter marked 8-35.  So the new, improved Frankenphone should include:

4H Dial from a phone marked III 37

Housing, cradle and hookswitch marked III 37

E1 Handset marked 8-35 and 6-35

and I should have a enough parts left over to make a couple extra 202's.  I'll have to wait and see what shows up in the mail though.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I just recieved both phones in the mail.  The break down:

One f1 handset in good condition, looks like it should work-no obvious problems
One AE handset with brass rings, cracked in the middle.  Needs work. Cord is shot.

Two 202 housings dated II37 and III37.  II37 needs to be repainted badly, III37 needs to be repainted only not so much.  Interior looks clean and crisp on III37, looks like II37 was dunked!!!

Baseplate-One is a little worn, but free of those annoying stick on feet.  The other is in better shape with those annoying stick-on feet.

Cords-3 out of 4 cords are shot and will need to be replaced.  F1 handset cord is intact and usable

Dials-One blank with dial card holder and 4 vintage dial cards (two are nice, the others are junk).  The other has a 4h dial which was converted from a #2 in 1940.  It has #5-type switches.  The dial moved slowly and with a grating noise when I first turned it.  Taking the dial plate off I discovered it was encrusted with silt.  After a cleaning and lubrication, the dial does not turn at all!!! :-[.  The dial plate is worn and illegible in parts.  Oddly enough it is from 1951 and features an aluminum dial card holder.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

I think those annoying little stick-on feet may be cork pads and original to the time period.  I like it when I get those annoying little stick-on feet on my sets.

Like the ones in the attached photo??

Dennis

bingster

The only specific mention I can find of those in the BSPs I have, was an instruction to installers to put those on whenever a coiled handset cord was installed on a phone.  I've seen them on plenty of phones that had obviously original straight cords, though, so they may have been installed whenever a customer complained of slippage, too.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

So should I glue them back on or not??? :-\
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

I think it's personal preference again.  I don't have them on anything, but I've always thought that if I got a phone with those installed that I'd try to take them off and remove the goo.  A nice oval bottom is something to prize, I think. ;D
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I was only giving you a hard time Sargeguy....Bingster is right, it's personal preference.  But since someone went to the trouble to put them there X-amount of years ago I like ot leave them.  You can see in the photo that I posted that the adhesive caused them to slip somewhat from when they were new.