News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Impulse "Buy It Now" 302 (Does it have the potential to live again?)

Started by metdial, January 14, 2009, 10:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metdial

I know that I took a big chance on this one. 

I know that I paid too much for it. 

I know that impulse buying can be unhealthy & have disastrous consequences.

And I did it anyway!

Please tell this newbie that there is hope for this project phone.  That it can be brought back to life.  That in its restored & refurbished form, can be an object of great beauty; treasured and appreciated by future generations.

Or, you can tell me that I'm an impulsive fool that deserves to be united with this "mucked with" piece of ...........

I appreciate your honesty, your candor, and your tactful impressions of my latest acquisition.   

I know from the description that it has a 6H dial on it and not the correct 5H. 
The description was quite brief however, which leads me to believe that there will be a lot of problems with this phone.   Nonetheless, here are some pics:

benhutcherson

Doesn't look bad at all to me, and definitely has the potential to be a very nice telephone. I'd keep it.

Metal shells don't seem to be overly common based on what I've seen.

Sargeguy

Looks like a 1939 metal matching date 302 that had its dial upgraded in the 50's.  It appears to have the plastic covered condensor and reversed dial.  How much did you pay for this if you don't mind my asking?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

metdial

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 14, 2009, 10:23:25 PM
Looks like a 1939 metal matching date 302 that had its dial upgraded in the 50's.  What type of condensor does it have?

I'm not sure Sargeguy, I just pulled trigger on this deal earlier tonight.  These are the photos from the Ebay listing.  Even if I did have the phone right in front of me, I don't know that I'd be able to answer your question. 

Tom

Steve

Looks like a nice phone to me. it has a nice patina, I would be tempted to use it just like it is. congrats :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

metdial

Looks like a 1939 metal matching date 302 that had its dial upgraded in the 50's.  It appears to have the plastic covered condensor and reversed dial.  How much did you pay for this if you don't mind my asking?

Not at all Sargeguy.  It was $ 24.99  plus shipping.  I jumped on it because I really wanted a 302 and was tired of getting out bid on every auction I participated in.  I'm sure it has a lot of issues.  It was listed as untested of course, and I don't even know if the dial rotates & returns properly.  I hope it has all the parts & wires it's supposed to to function.  In any event, it will be a great learning experience trying to fix it up.

benhutcherson

$24.99 for a metal shell 302?

I'd buy one in a minute for that price.

bingster

$25 isn't at all too much for this.  Similar 302s usually go for more.  It looks complete and proper to me.  The dial isn't what would have been on the phone when it was originally installed, but it was most likely put there by the Bell System, so there's nothing "wrong" about it.  If you can find a #4 or #5 dial from 1939, though, that would be awesome.  But stop worrying about this one... it's a great example at a good price.
= DARRIN =

metdial

Thanks Bingster,

I'm relieved by all of the positive comments so far.  This phone had only been listed for about an hour when I found it.  I knew I had to act fast or it would be gone.  That happened to me earlier in the week, when I found a decent 302 with a BIN listing.  I checked it out, looked at one other listing, and then went back to it.  It was gone after having been listed for less than 20 mins.  These 302's certainly don't gather much dust on eBay.

Sargeguy

$24.99 would not be an impulse buy for me-it would be reflexive for a metal case 302, especially one so well documented.  If I had seen it I would have pulled the trigger.  The #6 is a little disappointing but not too much so.  The paint looks about as well as can be expected too.  302s do gather dust and are relatively cheap.  I don't pay more than $25 including S&H as a rule for the thermoplastic ones (or the bakelite ones for that matter) and they need to have all the parts (except cords) and no cracks.  Metal phones are a different story however, they are much less common, especially with decent paint.  The are also more fun to work with.  No oven or hair dryer  or bootleg nail salon glue necessary.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

You totally got jipped on this phone!  Major ripped off!  Why the nerve of that seller, scamming you like this!  I'd file a complaint with E-bay and try to get the guy banned, how dare they foist this crap off on the public, it's an outrage.  I really feel sorry for you that you bought this.

Now to help yourself feel better you can box it up and send it to me!  Why I'll even throw in 25 clams to make you feel better.  Heck I'll even cover your shipping to get it to me, least I can do for a fellow phone phanatic.  Afterall you would not want to be stuck with a metal case pre-war mostly original 302 in good shape, now would you?
;)

(Yeah, you did well on this buy, real well, I'm a little jealous)

metdial

Quote from: McHeath on January 15, 2009, 12:03:48 AM
(Yeah, you did well on this buy, real well, I'm a little jealous)

Thanks McHeath.  I was hoping it was a wise purchase, but the proof will be in the pudding.  To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "A telephone is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

As I mentioned earlier, the seller's description was very brief and short on details.  I didn't have the luxury of asking the seller a bunch of questions because of the BIN, and the likelihood that someone would buy the phone before the seller got around to giving me a reply.  As Dennis has pointed out, if it's not in the description, you have to assume that a negative condition exists.

Thanks again for your positive & hilarious assessment.   ;D

winkydink

Quote from: metdial on January 14, 2009, 10:30:46 PM
Looks like a 1939 metal matching date 302 that had its dial upgraded in the 50's.  What type of condensor does it have?

I'm not sure Sargeguy, I just pulled trigger on this deal earlier tonight.  These are the photos from the Ebay listing.  Even if I did have the phone right in front of me, I don't know that I'd be able to answer your question. 

Tom

I concur with the rest of the group.  Nice buy!  I especially like the fact that all dates on the base match.

I have been thinking of getting a metal 302 as well.  Briefly guys.  How would one go about "repairing" the paint loss of a typical metal 302?  Would it need to be stripped repainted and baked on?  or is there some other simpler method.

I will have to try and scout one of these beauties out.

rp2813

I agree with the rest of the board here that you got a very good deal for a metal case matching dates 302.  Don't worry about the dial.  If you're like the rest of us, you'll probably pick up another 302, a later plastic one, that has a #5 dial and you can switch them out.  I see no reason to think this phone won't work as long as the dial functions properly.  Have you checked the transmitter & receiver capsules?  Can we see pix of dates on those?

My metal case 302 had some paint missing in the usual spots and I have gotten away with using India ink for touch up.  It doesn't adhere like real paint but the areas that needed it were small so it's not noticeable.  Someone here can probably provide a more permanent touch-up solution.

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Metdial;

Just fair warning, when you win phones like that at firesale prices as they are so called, you are directly stepping on my toes and into may territory. I thought it was clear here that I had first chioce at the best deals.
You can make it right by accepting, my offer to purchase the phone for your original investment, plus a small token for your troubles, I would then relieive you of the the burden of cleanoing up the phone.

How about it. ;D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson