News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just won my first 302 on ebay! Cheap!!!!

Started by Bill Cahill, January 17, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

I think ya paid too much, I'll send you the $16.50 send me the phone and then you'll feel better.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 17, 2009, 01:00:50 AM
I think ya paid too much, I'll send you the $16.50 send me the phone and then you'll feel better.
D/P

Nah.... I feel just fine!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Great find, Great phone, you'll love it. They've grown to be my favorite model.
D/P

Sargeguy

Looks pretty good and the price is perfect! Everything is there and it looks pretty clean (at least from the outside)  I guess its not from a "Smoke-free home".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

winkydink

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 17, 2009, 04:01:15 AM
  I guess its not from a "Smoke-free home".

I agree it looks really nice.  So nice that I was going to bid on it myself.  Then I saw the pack of cigarettes (sp) and since I have some sensitive noses in the house, decided against it.

I am sure that any smell that might be there will come out after a good dunking.

Nice find, nice price !

metdial

I had my eye on this one as well.  Unfortunately, I have my eye on about 2 dozen different auctions at any one time.  Taking advantage of this, "Silent Kill" Cahill swooped in out of the darkness and tore my heart out.  ;D

Congratulations Bill!

Oh, by the way my name is Tom, and I'm an obsessive compulsive with Western Electric tendencies.   :)

Dan

From the dial card  holder I'm guessing it's  around 1948ish. Nice buy. Mine looked like this but had straight cords. It's in our bedroom. They work better than baby ben alarm clocks, with a riiiinnnnggg that will wake the dead--I love it's sound!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Steve

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Bill Cahill

Oh, Fudge!!
I'm still getting the phone, and, a partial refund, but, this morning, I got an e mail of bad news.
Seems that while moving the phone in a box in their car from one house to another, the box somehow got bumped.  The cold seems to have put a nasty crack in the phone case. This makes me most un happy.
I asked for a 5.00 partial refund, and, am getting it.
Is the phone repairable?
He posted a new picture on ebay this morning showing the crack.
Just follow my previous link.
Bill Cahill  :o :(

Dan/Panther

Bill;
With or without the $5.00 adjustment you still got a very good deal. Many 302's come cracked. I have one that was cracked exactly like yours and it repaired perfectly.
That crack should only be a concern if you plan to refurbish and resell the phone.

D/P

Bill Cahill

Thanks. Other than the crack, I'm thrilled to get  a 302.
Bill Cahill

HobieSport

You'll be fine, Bill, and the $5 refund will buy super glue for the crack, and you'll get the handy experience of crack repair.

And like Dan said, it does look like a 1948 and I wouldn't be surprised if you get matching dates.  Just my phoney intuition so to speak. ;)

Good buy and good luck. :)

McHeath

Nicely done!  And the 5 buck refund will buy you a Happy Meal to boot, what's not to love?  As for that crack, geesh after Dennis and his buddy magically rebuilding ears on that 302 with their voodoo powers I think anything is fixable. 

That cord looks like a good candidate for the cord repairs that Dennis has been practicing, bet it would come out nice and clean looking with a much tighter coil.

I think you did very well.  But I probably should stop encouraging you as you will just keep winning phones for criminally low prices.
;)

Bill Cahill

:) I'm nutz over this. Does that make me criminally insane????    ;)

I can hardly wait to get this phone.
By the way, Remember the phone with the very bad rust inside?
I hooked it up in the kitchen. It's working GREAT!!!!
Bill Cahill