News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

If one were able to remove the sequins, there might be a nice soft plastic phone under there.  The handset cord turning to that white color is an indication of an early pink handset cord.  Maybe with more photos/information it would be a good collectible, IF the sequins can be removed.  But then again, $60 is a bit much for the work that would have to go into it.

LarryInMichigan

From my small amount of experience, I would guess that it is soft plastic.  The soft plastic I have seen fades and becomes lighter with age, while the ABS tends to develop a brownish tinge.  I would be concerned that the glue may have reacted with the tenite, and removing it might leave serious damage.  If one is going to ruin a phone by gluing things to it, why ruin anything but a valuable phone?

Larry

gpo706

"From the estate of Liberace...?" maybe
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Kevin Lane

This telephone doesn't ring - it BLINGS!

DavePEI

Quote from: Kevin Lane on May 04, 2011, 07:43:09 PM
This telephone doesn't ring - it BLINGS!

And the person who decorated it is the blinger! :-\

The process of making one of these is called Art Deco!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Kevin Lane

And when it does bling, you have to pick up the handset and say in a high country voice, "Hi, I'm Glen Campbell!"

Adam

Kev: Glen Campbell was the Rhinestone Cowboy, not sequin.

:)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Kevin Lane

My wife pointed this out to me seconds before Masstel's post appeared.

Kenny C

Well I'm going to have nightmares tonight ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kevin Lane

My favorite part of the eBay ad is that the phone is non-returnable. 

Duh.

Owain

I think you're all being very cruel.

This was some ten-year-old girl's first phone and she's very disappointed everyone laughed at her when she went to her local heritage phone group.

And thank $deity they did, because otherwise who knows what desirable and sought-after phones she'd be sequinning.

Willytx

Quote from: gpo706 on May 04, 2011, 06:08:08 PM
"From the estate of Liberace...?" maybe

Nah, no candle holders. I'm guessing a Gabor.

GG

IMHO that's acceptable as folk art, and not a problem unless it's been done to a rare set such as a 1st production year model. 

What isn't acceptable is to destroy a phone by e.g. turning it into a lamp.  Reminds me of hunting trophies of the heads of endangered species. 

DavePEI

Quote from: GG on May 06, 2011, 10:59:25 PM
IMHO that's acceptable as folk art, and not a problem unless it's been done to a rare set such as a 1st production year model.

Not even acceptable as folk art. Not only that, but it is endangering ladybugs as a species. If enough people see it, they will go berserk, destroying everything red with polka-dots! Whoever painted it, agreed, had too much time on their hands, but they should have been given at least 20 years!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

GG

Nice one, Owain.  In a manner of speaking.

Looks like something you'd see about a half hour after drinking the wrong fruit punch at the party, just before reliving the last third of 2001 (the movie, not the year).  "If you ever see a phone like this, give your car keys to a friend and have him call a doctor..." : - )

In any case, very well done.  Doesn't appear to be paint, doesn't appear to be some kind of contact paper.  So how did they do that one?  Some kind of elasticized fabric, or "wrap" material?  But if that, then how'd it go on without obvious stretching of the imagery around the corners?  Not that I have any desire to turn a phone into a psychiatric fire-alarm, but it would be interesting to know.