News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I get a "classic" number?

Started by markosjal, July 12, 2020, 07:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I know that in Many area codes there were "original" , "traditional" or "classic" prefixes.

Some of these in Portland , Or for instance were:

(Area code 503)

etc

These numbers generally were by neighbrhood.

My brother a couple years ago odered a POTS line and got a "classic" number 503 76X XXXX 

Now without ordering a POTS line, then porting to a VOIP line,  how would one acquire a "classic" number?

Does anyone gave an idea?

It seems many are available including most of the numbers I used to use to dial friends and family are completely available.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

rcourtney

Number portability.   Ask your VoIP provider directly.
If a number has been idle for awhile, they might be able to get it.

Western Bell

Waht makes those snumberss classic? I don;tl get it.

SUnset2

These are prefixes that were in use when a neighborhood would be known by the first 2 characters of the telephone number spelling out the first 2 letters of the name of the central office.  Later prefixes would no longer spell out the central office name.

For example, my forum handle is the beginning of my phone number.  SUnset 2, 3, 4, and later 9 were the prefixes for the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle.  This was my number when I was a child.  I had it ported to a cellular number when my parents had to move into assisted living (in a different rate center).  So I have the same number I had in 1958 (and the area code is still the same, too).  There probably aren't a lot of people who have had the same number longer. 

Pourme

~

Impressive!

My wife has a similar story. Her mother was a operator for 40+ years. She used to dial "O" and simply ask to speak with "Mommy".

Her current cel# dates back to 1978. Long way to go to match your record, for sure!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

markosjal

As I undersrtand porting, you  can only port in a number you already have. If I do not already have the number, I do not believe it can be ported.

markosjal

Just FYI ,

My asterisk permits calls from all of the "Traditional" or "Classic" prefixes in my city. If the call originates fro a number that was Not originally PRospect , ALpine, or one of the other original prefixes in my city, then the spam filter kicks in and first tries to match it in the whitelist. If the whitelist is matched the Spam filter is bypassed. Any call not originating from a "Classic" prefix or not whitelisted then goes on to hear a long winded recording about "This number does not accept calls from Solicitors, if youu are a solicitor , hang up now otherwise dial 1 or wait on the line (for Rotary phones) ...."

If say my uncle or brother calls me, they both have numbers that originated with Ma Bell Classic Prefixes and will never hear the Spam Filter.

If My mother calls from her overlay area code 971 number , it will find her number in the whitelist. and she will not hear the Spam Filter.

Now if someone calls from most local cell phones or VoIP lines or out of area numbers they will get the spam filter.

I do have a sister in law that ported her Molalla Rural Telephone company "Classic" number to a cell phone , so she never gets the spam filter either as the Molalla Rural telephone prefix is a "Classic" prefix.

compubit

Go through your VoIP Carrier and see what they have available.  Sometimes classic numbers show up - I was able to catch a 415 JUniper prefix a while back...

You never know what will show up - just keep looking!
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!