News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody ever try jeweler's rouge to remove yellowing?

Started by foots, May 09, 2009, 01:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

After reading a couple of posts about removing the yellowing on phones, I got to thinking, which is usually dangerous. Anyhow, when I was doing some major cleanup/polishing/detailing on a standard model '80 Yamaha XS 800 that I had bought a few years ago I noticed that the air filter box, which is black plastic, was really really dull and was looking like crap next to the mirror shine I put onto the lower fork tubes, engine side covers, cam cover ect...  So, I put a clean buffing wheel on my drill, dressed it with the green stick, and buffed the filter box. That thing came out unbeleivably shiny. I figured I'd try it out on something else - a late '80s F-150's headlights which are notorius for turning extremely dull and yellow. I'll be a son-of-a-gun if both headlights didn't come out crystal clear. So now I guess I'll have to pick up a cheap phone and try out some jeweler's rouge and see what happens.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Tonyrotary

That would be cool if it works on phones as well! Could be yet another tool in the ol restoration box.

HobieSport

The jeweler's rouge is a super fine abrasive, correct?  Ive heard of people also using toothpaste to shine things, because of the mild abrasive.

BDM

Quote from: HobieSport on May 09, 2009, 11:59:32 AM
The jeweler's rouge is a super fine abrasive, correct?  Ive heard of people also using toothpaste to shine things, because of the mild abrasive.

Yup, Crest is excellent for removing years of ground in dirt and light scratches from windshields.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

foots

Check this out. This stuff is available in small sticks at Lowe's and large bars of it can be found in places that sell large truck parts and accessories.
http://www.hobbytool.com/jewelers-rouge.htm

Dan

I use tripoli in my dental practice all the time to polish plastic dentures, while rouge is great on metal crowns (some people still get gold ones for the back molars, it's the best thing you can put in your mouth and esthetics  are not as important). I'd say tripoli is your best bet for telephone plastic.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

foots

Quote from: Dan on May 09, 2009, 04:14:16 PM
I use tripoli in my dental practice all the time to polish plastic dentures, while rouge is great on metal crowns (some people still get gold ones for the back molars, it's the best thing you can put in your mouth and esthetics  are not as important). I'd say tripoli is your best bet for telephone plastic.

I recently got a gold crown on my back molar.
Where might one purchase said tripoli? I didn't see that in the hardware store.

Dan

Don't know if you have to be a "dental professional" to buy this, but you can always call and ask. Here's a direct link

http://www.henryschein.com/us-en/Search.aspx?searchkeyWord=tripoli

Your dentist may also be able to get it for you. If he uses gold, he probably has rouge. Tripoli, maybe?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

foots

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
Wow, now I feel stupid  :-[  .

Hey, Foots don't feel bad; besides, feeling stupid is my job! ;) Let us know if you try the tripoli on a phone.  It does say that it works on thermoplastic and perhaps on bakelite, as well as non-ferrous metals.

foots

I get paid Thursday so, I guess I'll order some tripoli and I need to order some Novus 2. I'm also going to antique mall again and will try to pick up a phone to experiment on.
I'll see if my brother will let me borrow his digital camera so I can show yall some of the phones/prices at the mall as well as some better pictures of the stuff I already have.