News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual rural dial plate - Is this for an early dial?

Started by ALpine3, January 12, 2019, 05:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALpine3

Hello everyone - I've acquired an interesting dial plate.  It looked like a 132A to me at first glance, but as I examined it, I noticed that rather than being made from stamped steel and then porcelain coated, it appears to have been made out of 3 segments that are perhaps butt welded and then covered with porcelain (Picture 2).  And it's profile is different from every other one I've seen.  It's thick in the center around the opening and has a small lip on top, but it's height is very similar to other 132 dial plates I have.  Can someone help identify what this dial plate is?  Thank you!
ALpine3

Desert Phone Guy

It is a rural dial plate that goes on a Western Electric Number 2AA dial  The porcelain is unnotched, and the three pins are to secure the number plate to the base of the dial to prevent movement.

paul-f

Good observation.

I also recall 132-type backs looking like this...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ALpine3

Thank you both for your thoughts.  I have a couple of #2 dial plates, and they are made of stamped steel.  This dial plate looks like it was cast into three pieces and butt welded together.  It will go on a #2 dial, but there's not a lot of room for your fingers in the holes due to the cast shape, and any card holder put on the #2 finger wheel stops the dial from turning. 

If I was to take a saw and slice down the middle of the plate, and do the same with a stamped steel 2AA plate, and then look at them on edge, they would look something like the picture below.  I'll try to get a good profile picture of it and post it later today.  Hopefully this helps illustrate it better..
ALpine3

AL_as_needed

What makes its a "rural" dial plate? Extra large numbers?
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Kidphone

ALpine3

After numerous attempts, I think I have something that will help.  Here is a picture with the dial plate I show above on top and a 2AB plate on the bottom.  The dial plate on top has a considerably thicker profile and is heavier than the 2AB below.  I hope this helps everyone see the difference.  Any thoughts as to what this plate is or why it's different from others?
ALpine3