News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

51AL Questions.

Started by Kenny C, February 22, 2011, 08:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

One last question.  Can you tell me what the terminal designations are for the connections on the hookswitch are; for instance YY, R, B,BB, W, Y

Which are which?

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Kenny, take a look at the pictures of my phone "151AL with 2 extra wires"  (last page)  and see if it helps.. Your phone is a little different than mine, You have a different Dial and you don't have the other mounting pad for B-Y.. But, otherwise they look alot alike...
THANK YOU Marty

Kenny C

Bill I dont know what you mean. Do i look at the switch pile up or?

Marty,
Yours is a 151AL right?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Yes.  Look at the pile-up.  There should be letter designations next to the hookswitch screws stamped in the dull gray backing plate.

-Bill G

Kenny C

Gotcha I have BB R YY  and the one by its lonesome has no markings
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny:

I can get you hooked up with it as sidetone with no problem, but if by chance the hookswitch is made for antisidetone, I need to actually see more details of the hookswitch.  The two looked almost identical, but the fact that yours is labeled as a 51AL, it is probably sidetone.

Can you do two more photos of the hookswitch, both from the side showing the hookswitch springs; One photo with the hook depressed which will open all the contacts, and another with the hook in the up or off-hook position which closes the contacts on the springs.

If all four springs come together as one connection, you will have a sidetone switch.  If they are in two separatate sections, separated by an insulator, you will have an antisidetone switch.

Sorry to put you through this.
-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
Yes, Kenny mine is a 151AL, and your is a 51AL (I think), so they might not be all the same, even though they look alike to me.. Sorry about that..  Bill, is right, How the Hookswitch is connected will make all the difference....
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Hi Marty:

The antisidetone needed a slightly more complex switching arrangement than the sidetone version, and the key to the whole thing is the hookswitch pileup.  I have three 51AL's all with slightly different switches, but one of mine looks identical to Kenny's, but it has the simpler sidetone configuration.  Oddly enough, your 151 switch also looks like Kenny's and the one that I have that looks like his too, at least looking from the front of the switch.  From the front of the switch, one cannot see how the switch springs come together.   The difference will be in the way the pileup connects and has two separate sections that are insulated from each other.  That is the way the schematic is, anyway.  Unfortunately, I have no "live" 151 to use as a comparison.  Only the schematic, and the fact that the 151AL will have the same switching as a 202, even though the switches physically are drastically different from each other.

-Bill G

Kenny C

Bill we have company tonight and i wont be able to take pictures until tommorrow.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
My hookswitch has two seperate switches, and NOT one commom with two contacts... I will send some pictures later, maybe that can help... These are some what out of focus, but I can't seem to get any better with my Cell phone/camera...
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Kenny C

Ok I got some pictures.

1. Is off hook
2. is on hook
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Amazing!

You have a hookswitch for antisidetone!  This means your phone will be functioning as a 151AL rather than a 51AL, providing you have a 4-conductor cord.

Do you have a four conductor cord to run from the 302 subset to the candlestick base?  If not, we can still get you connected for sidetone until you do get one.

-Bill G

Kenny C

No i dont have a 4 conductor cord. I only have a 3 :( Oh well at least it can be changed to anti sidetone later.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010