News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

S.C. Stick & Subset

Started by HarrySmith, May 15, 2020, 05:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I just stumbled upon a nice looking SC stick with subset on eBay. One thing on the subset I have never seen before is a small black knob marked "TURN TO CLEAN AFTER THUNDERSTORM". I am guessing it is some sort of lightning arrester. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this something original from SC or was it added at some point? Any idea what it actually does? Can't see anything on the inside for any clues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STROMBERG-CARLSON-CANDLESTICK-PHONE-W-RINGER-BOX-Switchboard-Desk-Phone/383546352382
( dead link 12-01-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I think the lightning arestor
Quote from: HarrySmith on May 15, 2020, 05:59:20 PM
I just stumbled upon a nice looking SC stick with subset on eBay. One thing on the subset I have never seen before is a small black knob marked "TURN TO CLEAN AFTER THUNDERSTORM". I am guessing it is some sort of lightning arrester. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this something original from SC or was it added at some point? Any idea what it actually does?

In a near  lightning strike to the phone, the arrester (probably carbon based) will short to ground. This creates a carbon "trace" path to ground.

To clear the short, you rotate the knob which disrupts the carbon traces that provided the shorting path.
I think they used the mineral mica in round disks as part of this style  arrestor.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.