News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why don't they make these replicas?

Started by texbodemer, May 20, 2023, 09:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texbodemer

Why are there no replicas of rotary Trimline, and touchtone replicas of the 500 series phones? (I know Crosley made some for a bit)? I'd also love to see Princess replicas in colors other than pink, black, and white, not to mention the 302 phone, the Automatic Electric rotary, the buttset (Being able to hook up a buttset to a Bluetooth network would be awesome), the SpaceSaver, etc.?
"Life is short, write in pen"

Stormcrash

I think we're past the prime for some of that. I was shocked last year when AT&T brought back the beige and pink colors for the Trimline after selling only black and white for the prior 10 or so years

What would have been better than a replica is if Cortelco hadn't ceased making the final true rotary 500 in the mid 2000s. Not sure if there's enough of a market for a retro fake rotary trimline when the real deal touch tone one still exists, though I'm almost surpised AT&T (or more properly Advanced American Telephones) never tried to revive the princess themselves to cash in on the retro trend

TelePlay

Supply and demand.

Production economies of scale.

Profit margin of production lines.

Demand is minimal. The cost of designing, tooling up production and cost of materials for minimal sales would force manufacturers to charge thousands to cover the costs for each of the phones produced to meet demand. Sales at such exorbitant prices to cover cost would be below the manufacturer's profit margin to remain on business.

While there is a need, or demand, for land line phones in deeply remote, rural areas that don't have cell phone service, those buyers/users will get whatever is available, cheap foreign made DTMF phones off the shelf at Walmart.

MMikeJBenN27

Or they could get a good Western Electric style 2500 through E-Bay.

Mike

dsk

Do they actually make replicas, or even land line telephones any more?
About one year ago they >:( closed down the last landline in Norway >:( >:( >:(

RDPipes

My question is why would Anyone want a Reproduction  in the first place?
Most reproductions as a whole have been known to be inferior to the originals anyway.
It would be like buying a a reproduction Rolex (for any reason) and expecting it to preform
like an original. And if you don't expect it to be as good why purchase it? Buying things as
status symbols is just plain lame IMHO.

texbodemer

I like the GPO reproduction line, mainly for having * and # and for being lighter weight. The originals are wonderful, but often, certain colors make them out of reach economically also. I'm working on creating a business dedicated to Bluetooth rotary phones, and, while the originals are great, I wouldn't be able to offer bulk rates, as they are one of each.
"Life is short, write in pen"

TelePlay

There are a lot of look alike on Amazon, available in quantity (more than a dozen) in various colors.

Here are just 2 examples of "corded" (landline) telephones.

They are new but most likely circuit board phones (remove and replace the whole phone if it fails).