News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Automatic Telephone "dial"

Started by Sargeguy, July 20, 2018, 09:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Someone sent me a picture on this item asking for more information.  I said "let me get back to you".
They made phones 1907-1911 and were located located in Urbana Ill.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

LarryInMichigan

I used to be located in Urbana, IL (and I was delighted to leave it).

Larry

HarrySmith

I don't know what it is but I will take it! Looks very cool!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Have a look at this link from the "JKL Museum" .    They have a similar dial on display, and a video on it's operation.   Scroll down to the middle of the page.

Link:  http://jklmuseum.com/tag/telephone/

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Jeff Lamb

Key2871

That's very interesting. First time I saw it, I couldn't figure out how it would work. But ingenious how it works, kinda like a toy dial I saw on a toy phone once.
I for one would be interested to find out what it was used on/in.
KEN

kleenax

Here's a photo of the one that I used to have. Honestly found it one day in a super-dirty antique shop where the owner actually KICKED this little dial across the floor before I rescued it! I thought it was a beer-can at first when he kicked it! Gave him $5.00 for it, and many  years later, as I had it on display at a phone show, someone offered me $500 for it......sooooo.....it's gone :-(

Never could find a photo of it mounted to a telephone, and mine was missing the "can" on the bottom too.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on July 20, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
Have a look at this link from the "JKL Museum" .    They have a similar dial on display, and a video on it's operation.   Scroll down to the middle of the page.

Link:  http://jklmuseum.com/tag/telephone/

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Jeff Lamb

Sounds just a "teeny bit" faster than 10pps in that video!  ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

It is probably for sale, PM me if interested.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

From $5, to $500, that's quite a tidy profit.
What was this dial used in/on? When I first saw it, I thought operators board, or some type of deal like that.
I was in an antique shop once, saw a push button deal, later found out it was a tone pad for a cord board. When I went back to look at it again, the whole building had burned to the ground. I was in shock, all those antique phones and other things... Gone.
KEN

rdelius

Several of "fiddleback" or wall sets surfaced years ago possibly at the Odie Meyhew sale in Va .They were  converted to manual sets and the dial holes were plugged .

Phoneco might have bought them and refurbihed and sold them

paul-f

Stanley Swihart documented this dial in his 2010 book, Telephone Dials and Pushbuttons. A photo is on Volume 2, page 9-3. (Apparently it is literally this dial, as there is a chip on the 2 key and the 3 cap is missing. See below.)

He doesn't present much detail, but it is in a section with similar dials made by Mix and Genest (ca. 1913) and by Ericsson.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line